Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Am i the luckiest?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Am i the luckiest?

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:25 pm

You know I recently finished blue heaven by JK, I emailed him to say how much I liked the book, and he replied!

This is so great:

Dear Megan,

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Blue Heaven so much and hope you enjoy Ritz as well. It gave me a great deal of pleasure to write them and, as you may or may not know, it was Blue Heaven that led to my TV career. David Lloyd happened to read it and liked it so much he gave it to the Cheers creators, Glen and Les Charles and Jim Burrows who liked it as well and asked me to create a new comedy for them. I wrote a pilot called Gloria Vane about in actress in Hollywood in 1938. Paramount produced it lavishly (Jobeth Williams was in the cast as were Nina Foch, Harriet Harris and Edward Hibbert ) It was enormous fun making it and when NBC declined to put it on the fall schedule (in hindsight a good thing for me, showrunner not being an entry-level position) the Frasier people invited me to join the show in its second year. So you can see I owe pretty much everything to dear old Blue Heaven.

Forgive the tardiness of my reply but I've been very busy writing a pilot with Chris while finishing the final polish of the third Philip and Gilbert novel. This one's called My Lucky Star and takes Philip, Gilbert and Claire to LA where they become entangled in the escalating feud between warring factions of a mega-famous Hollywood acting dynasty. Moira, who wasn't in Ritz, is back for this one and more nefarious than ever. Little Brown will be publishing it here next October and Viking UK will publish over there some months later.

As for a JK Appreciation Society I would suggest that any effort involved in such an endeavor would be more profitably invested in writing a play.

Best regards,

Joe Keenan

[:]:-))[/:][:]:-))[/:][:]:-))[/:][:]:-))[/:]
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Re: Am i the luckiest?

Postby Phil Branch » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:35 pm

Fantastic Meg!!!

Isn't it great when your heroes turn out to be thoroughly good eggs !
Phil Branch

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:43 pm

Wow Meg, what a result! That guy is totally cool as well as being an all round genius. Self-effacing as ever, I still think the JK Appreciation Society is a good idea as many young writers such as yourself could stumble across the site and attempt to emulate the great man.

Did you ask him if he minded me pirating a DVD interview of him??? [:]NO[/:]
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:57 pm

A reply from the master-writer!

I am having a fit of jealous rage. [:]}:-(([/:]

Only joking, Meg. I hope your good luck continues. Have you started writing the script yet? I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to emailing you about that, but I've been rather preoccupied.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:03 pm

I have started. it is great that one of my heroes has replied twice to my emails, he is so down to earth
Sideshow Meg

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:08 pm

He's a top, top guy to treat his fans with such respect. It was interesting to read about the pilot he's writing with 'Chris' (the great Christopher Lloyd!). I hope that makes it to the airwaves pretty soon, there's no good TV to look forward to now Frasier has finished [:]:-(([/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:19 pm

I am so tempted to ask what kind of show it will be
Sideshow Meg

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:27 pm

Ask him, you're on first name terms! With your luck Meg he may offer to e-mail you the script and ask you to perform a treatment upon it. Can you give me some lottery numbers for this week Meg?? I've got an 8 month old daughter who's going through clothes at a rate of knots and I need the cash...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:32 pm

okay, lottery, lottery i'm going to say:

3, 45, 30, 12, 25 and 31

Good luck
Sideshow Meg

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:59 pm

Thankyou Mystic Meg, I'm going to stick them on tomorrow and Saturday. If I win I'll pay a handsome retainer for Joe Keenan to write a new farce-based comedy with a talented UK writer from Portsmouth [:]:-))[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Jocelyn » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:26 pm

[:]DRINK[/:]

Congrats on getting another reply, Meg! And what a scoop you got re: the pilot he's writing with fellow genius Christopher Lloyd. Can't wait to see what that turns out to be!
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:38 pm

i know, i can't wait to find out either! If it is anything like frasier then I'm sure we'll all be happy!
Sideshow Meg

Postby Rodge » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:40 pm

All I can say is Wow and raise you a Zowee, you are something Sideshow Meg. Long may you reign.
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:45 pm

dad loves sherry, the boys just whine. i'll take you zowie and give a whoopa! i will reign long
Sideshow Meg

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:27 pm

And a bump for this thread too.

Ah, the JK Appreciation Society Meg, I still have that link on my favourites at work! [:]:-))[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Janey » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:32 pm

Glad you bumped this...that's really cool! I'm dying to know what the pilot is about.
Janey

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:38 pm

Well, the thread's a year old Janey, so the 'pilot' Joe refers to is actually Out Of Practice which has now aired to less than ecstatic reviews.

I'd prefer to make my own mind up though, apparently Strat is really getting into it now.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:40 pm

'Out Of Practice' is very good, IMO. It has gotten mixed reviews, but I've loved every minute of it.

Here's some dialogue from the show.

Stewart: You don’t know Claudia Penchant? She’s been a star for twenty years.

Lydia: Oh, I’m sorry, Stewart. I guess while you were expanding your mind reading People magazine, I was doing something frivolous. Now was it raising our three children, or performing life saving heart surgery? I know, both.

Stewart: Don’t make that face, Lydia. You’re gonna’ scare Oliver’s barracudas.
Stratman

Postby Janey » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:04 pm

Oh, Out of Practice. I'll admit I never watched it because the ads looked SO BAD. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Janey

Return to Frasier Discussion