Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The worst movie you've ever seen......

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The worst movie you've ever seen......

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:35 pm

On another forum, we got into a discussion about bad movies. It's a forum for a Trivia contest I play in and each year, the organizer shows a movie before the contest. It's generally something obscure and often times (although less so in recent years) painful to watch.

So, what is the WORST MOVIE you've ever seen?

In order, #1 being the WORST for me!

1. The Avengers (with Ralph Fiennes, Sean Connery, Uma Thurman and THE KILLER TEDDY BEARS!)

2. Freddy Got Fingered

3. Hell is a Place Called Hollywood

4. Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

5. Star Wars-Phantom Menace (Sorry Star Wars fans but I just couldn't stand it! It hurt me to watch and I couldn't wait for it to be over)
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Good thread!

One immediately springs to mind - my friend and I walked into the wrong theatre by mistake and accidentally ended up watching The End Of The Affair with Ralph Feinnes.

By the halfway point I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon just to relieve the boredom. Why we never left is beyond me, we were probably too embarrassed to admit our mistake!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:47 pm

I'll have to have a think about the worst, but certainly the most boring films I've ever seen are the Lord of the Rings ones. Feck, I thought I was done for. I was lucky my brain hadn't passed the point of no return.
Bad Ambassador

Postby DHP » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:50 pm

Dungeons and Dragons. Jeremy Irons deserves better than that awful film. In all honesty, Channel 5's Hercules and Xena series outperformed that film in every single way and were far more enjoyable.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Davey Boy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:07 pm

A few spring immediately to mind for me, The Wicker Man and The Perfoect Storm (both good films but with bad endings), and Dude Where's My Car which was generally just an awful film. No doubt more will spring to mind and I will have to add to the list.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Re: The worst movie you've ever seen......

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:08 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:5. Star Wars-Phantom Menace (Sorry Star Wars fans but I just couldn't stand it! It hurt me to watch and I couldn't wait for it to be over)

No offense taken. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but that film was utterly horrendous. I haven't seen enough movies to determine the worst ever, though.
Paul B

Postby Stratman » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:12 pm

Freddy Got Fingered.
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:51 pm

I'll have to have a think about the worst, but certainly the most boring films I've ever seen are the Lord of the Rings ones. Feck, I thought I was done for. I was lucky my brain hadn't passed the point of no return.

Music to my ears! I simply cannot keep my concentration for 4 hours or however long they last - feels like an eternity I have to say. I saw the first one a while ago because of the hype, but was left disappointed. Watched half of the second, but fell asleep half way through.

Worst movie I've seen? Van Helsing was crap, and so all those horribly corny American rom-coms.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:55 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:

Music to my ears! I simply cannot keep my concentration for 4 hours or however long they last - feels like an eternity I have to say. I saw the first one a while ago because of the hype, but was left disappointed. Watched half of the second, but fell asleep half way through.

Worst movie I've seen? Van Helsing was crap, and so all those horribly corny American rom-coms.

I really enjoyed the LOTR trilogy, Peter Jackson is a wonderful film maker. I'd pick the original Star Wars trilogy over it any day of the week though!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:56 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Watched half of the second, but fell asleep half way through.

During the Battle of Helm's Deep? :shock:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby welshben23 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:09 pm

1. Traffic
2. Training Day
3. Brokeback Mountain

How the hell these movies won Oscars, I will never know!
welshben23

Postby Rodge » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:12 pm

Police Academy 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 .........100!
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:13 pm

During the Battle of Helm's Deep?

Gods know. Something to do with horses, dwarves and hobbits, that's all I can remember.
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:59 pm

welshben23 wrote:1. Traffic
2. Training Day
3. Brokeback Mountain

How the hell these movies won Oscars, I will never know!

Great film! Denzil Washington was superb and fully deserved his Oscar.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:59 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
During the Battle of Helm's Deep?

Gods know. Something to do with horses, dwarves and hobbits, that's all I can remember.

Tut, tut. Shame on you!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:11 pm

Van Helsing was crap,

Oh yes it was!!!!!

I was so disappointed in that film. I love Hugh Jackman but the last TWO films I saw of his needed editing in the WORST WAY! Van Helsing and The Prestige.
CatNamedRudy

Re: The worst movie you've ever seen......

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:14 pm

Paul B wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:5. Star Wars-Phantom Menace (Sorry Star Wars fans but I just couldn't stand it! It hurt me to watch and I couldn't wait for it to be over)

No offense taken. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but that film was utterly horrendous. I haven't seen enough movies to determine the worst ever, though.

But what is the worst that you've ever seen? For you personally?
CatNamedRudy

Postby me123 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:14 pm

The Cross and the Switchblade

Great idea, but bad script, bad acting...
me123

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:19 am

Cake for Brains wrote:

It wasn't so much the length of the films that bothered me (although they did desperately need to be shorter) but more the fact that it was just a load of crap characters with funny ears who I didn't care about, spouting horrible florid dialogue. I'm not the kind of person who can get all wet over some special effects, so the films left me completely cold.

Sadly I had to watch all three of the buggers because the girls I live with made me. I swear I've never been so bored in my entire life.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:25 am

It wasn't so much the length of the films that bothered me (although they did desperately need to be shorter) but more the fact that it was just a load of crap characters with funny ears who I didn't care about, spouting horrible florid dialogue. I'm not the kind of person who can get all wet over some special effects, so the films left me completely cold.

Have you read the book? Most of the people who watched the films liked them because of all the huge epic battles, and they just don't interest me in the slightest.
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:30 am

Cake for Brains wrote:Have you read the book? Most of the people who watched the films liked them because of all the huge epic battles, and they just don't interest me in the slightest.

I tried reading the books but found them tedious, too. And like you, I'm not particularly interested in 'epic' battles between trolls and orcs, or whatever. I like my sci-fi/fantasy to have some proper grounding in reality to make it work - which is why I like Doctor Who and Star Wars. I love the space battles in Star Wars, because the characters and the universe it's set in all feel real. I didn't get that from LOTR at all.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:33 am

I tried reading the books but found them tedious, too. And like you, I'm not particularly interested in 'epic' battles between trolls and orcs, or whatever. I like my sci-fi/fantasy to have some proper grounding in reality to make it work - which is why I like Doctor Who and Star Wars. I love the space battles in Star Wars, because the characters and the universe it's set in all feel real. I didn't get that from LOTR at all.

I tried reading 'Lord of the Rings' too, but couldn't stomach it - although 'The Hobbit' was okay.

I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen a single Star Wars film, and I should. My media teacher is an avid fan, and he is desperate for me to watch one.
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:Sadly I had to watch all three of the buggers because the girls I live with made me. I swear I've never been so bored in my entire life.

Bloody hell, I'd have thought one of the perks of being a gay man is that you don't get nagged into watching stuff by the women folk! As a married man, my TV and movie viewing habits are a constant compromise. I've given her fair warning that Doctor Who will be starting soon so any reality shite on the other side gets taped!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:18 pm

I actually think Star Wars Episode 1: TPM is ok. I've even laughed at some moments in Freddy Got Fingered - There's many a worse movie in both genres.

Some of the dullest films i've endured would include Titanic, Matrix Reloaded, Love, Actually, Home Alone (sorry BGF), Cheaper By The Dozen... there'll be more, but i think my brain is trying to block them out at the moment.

I have a bee in my bonnet about Forrest Gump, too. But that's more a case of an over-rated film than a particularly bad one. Best film of 1994 my ass.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I have a bee in my bonnet about Forrest Gump, too. But that's more a case of an over-rated film than a particularly bad one. Best film of 1994 my ass.

I love that film. I agree it's not the best of 1994, but it's 2nd (after The Shawshank Redemption). Yeah, you heard me, it kicks the arse of Pulp Fiction! :)
Wezzo

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion