Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Cafe Nervosa Staff

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Cafe Nervosa Staff

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:33 pm

Given that Frasier and Niles are such regular customers, I should think that most of the waiters/waitresses at Cafe Nervosa know them well - not as friends, obviously, but are fully aware of who they are, especially as Frasier is something of a celebrity, and know them by sight.

I was wondering what they would think of Frasier and Niles. I really liked the waitress (played by Luck Hari) who appeared in a few of the episodes in the earlier seasons. It seemed to me, in quite a few episodes, that she didn't seem to be too glad to see them, particularly with Frasier in "My Coffee With Niles" - well, who could blame her? [:]:-)[/:] Even the way she cut up Niles' card in "Frasier Grinch" - she didn't come across as too apologetic about it to me, she just said it so abruptly, which was I found that bit very funny.

It's kind of hard to speculate on, because there's little interaction between the waiters/waitresses and the Crane boys, but if Niles and Frasier get so fussy about their orders when the tiniest thing is out of place, I wonder if the staff are silently cursing them behind the counter?

I'm also reminded of a season ten episode when Frasier remarks on the cafe being packed, and Daphne explaining that it's her mother's day off, and apparently a mass-email went around informing everyone that Mrs. Moon wouldn't be there. Then she added, "You should see this place when they know you're not coming." She seemed to be referring to the customers in general, but I wonder whether the staff at Cafe Nervosa have any pleasure or pride in having Frasier and Niles as regulars? I can actually picture them saying nasty things about them back behind the counter, but maybe not...
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Re: Cafe Nervosa Staff

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:28 am

My favourite Nervosa waiter/waitress moment came during the tag scene of an episode I actually disliked - Farewell Nervosa. The Crane boys had already met 'Steve' in another coffee shop they had tried and they'd made quite an impression on him! During the tag scene he'd obviously quit there and just started at Nervosa when he saw who two of the customers were so he threw his apron down and walked out!! [:]:-}[/:]
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby freewill » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:42 am

Steve was one of the lone bright spots in that episode, wasn't he?

"Damn. Every time I open my heart." So deadpan. So funny.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:48 am

He was great, unlike Elvis Costello who was terrible. He's a great singer/songwriter but he showed in this episode how difficult comedy acting can be.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:59 pm

To be honest, I found his performance very funny.

I really like the young guy in the later seasons. In one episode he wore reindeer horns to help the cafe seem more festive.
Stratman

Postby Jocelyn » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:31 pm

Elvis Costello's "acting" in 'Farewell Nervosa' was car-crash television but I love the bits with Frasier checking out alternative cafes, especially where he has to sit on a beanbag[:]:-))[/:] A real curate's egg that episode.
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:47 pm

I enjoyed "Farewell Nervosa", and I agree, I think their conversation with Steve was very funny. I wonder what exactly it was he disliked about them, though? Frasier was trying to be friendly; maybe Steve just wasn't used to customers striking up conversation and thought the two of them a little strange.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby mickeba » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:19 pm

I'm sure that the boys were a pain in the ass at the cafe. However, that's so much part of the fun isn't it? They represent so much of the superficiality and elitism of the '90's, particularly stateside. That's one of the thing's I like so much about the show. Having lived in Seattle in the '90's, Seattle was such an elitist, yuppie, prepster, whatever you want to call it, place that seeing this show make fun of it, is great for me. And it doesn't justify the snobbiness either. I think on many occasions, the message of an episode is that being a snob has a cost. (the platinum door episode in season 10? can't remember the name, but remember the episode!) I guarantee you the staff at Nervosa cursed our heroes!
"It's always darkest, just before it goes totally black!"
mickeba

Postby stoi689 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:43 pm

I like Thad, "The hulking fellow who doesn't flinch when his arm touches the steamer"[:]:-}[/:]
stoi689

Postby Janey » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:20 pm

We can't forget Maureen Nervosa! I thought that was a very funny moment.

And, didn't someone in that episode call Niles "emergency Frasier"? I thought that was hilarious. [:]:-))[/:]
Janey

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:33 pm

^ You're right, Jocelyn, it was Julia who called Niles that. They bumped into her in the cafe where Steve worked, and Julia was quite rude.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby dorianblue » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:08 pm

"Who are you, his stunt double?"

[:]:-)[/:] Ya gotta love Julia ...
dorianblue

Return to Frasier Discussion