Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

NFL American Football 2010/11 Season

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: NFL American Football 2010/11 Season

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
woggle wrote:Question . Ive been following NFL for a while but need to ask at one point in the game Rodgers got hit in the helmet by a chicago player lowering his head in the game is there a tackle that will get you thrown out of the game full stop kinda like a red card for our football?

It's been known to happen. It happened in the 80s to Packer Charles Martin when he body slammed Bears QB Jim McMahon into the ground well after the whistle blew.

There isn't a stand alone penalty that will get you tossed though. It's more of how the refs feel at any given moment.

That hit on Rodgers though will get a stiff fine from the league. Leading with the helmet is something the league is taking much more seriously than they used to.

I've noticed a few commentators being overly critical of some calls as helmet hits, but i think officials have got it right in general (from the games i've seen this season), and it's the right thing to try and clean up.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby woggle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:00 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
woggle wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:It sure was awfully fishy. Usually if you're pulled for a significant injury (rumor is "ligament damage") you don't spend the rest of the game pacing on the sidelines! His limp sure wasn't bad. Cutler is a wuss!

Aaron Rodgers practically got his head knocked off on one play and came up slow a few more times but I'm pretty sure you would have needed a stretcher to get him out of that game!

I've pulled a ligament in my finger once when a horse pulled away from me given it was a finger it was so fucking painfull and im sorry but Cuttler didn't have that sort of pain etched across his face ..i agree that excuse is dodgy he chicked out big time!!

Question . Ive been following NFL for a while but need to ask at one point in the game Rodgers got hit in the helmet by a chicago player lowering his head in the game is there a tackle that will get you thrown out of the game full stop kinda like a red card for our football?

It's been known to happen. It happened in the 80s to Packer Charles Martin when he body slammed Bears QB Jim McMahon into the ground well after the whistle blew.

There isn't a stand alone penalty that will get you tossed though. It's more of how the refs feel at any given moment.

That hit on Rodgers though will get a stiff fine from the league. Leading with the helmet is something the league is taking much more seriously than they used to.

Ah ok i wasn't sure if there was just a little shocked to see the helmet to helmet thing and not have the player sent off .. think the fine idea is something we should take from the NFL and include in soccer hit them in the pocket ...... anyhoo cheers for clearing that up :)
woggle

Postby Karin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:07 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I don't think it was overly entertaining for the neutral. But it's not a criticism - i'd expect it to be tense. It reminded me exactly of some cagey, fierce, local derby in our football. Pretty it mostly aint :lol: It was certainly intriguing to follow.

That's exactly what I thought, too. Maybe my expectations were a little too high. Also, I haven't been able to follow this last season on a regular basis, so maybe I didn't really know what kind of game to expect with these two teams. Glad the Packers won though!
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
Karin

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Karin wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I don't think it was overly entertaining for the neutral. But it's not a criticism - i'd expect it to be tense. It reminded me exactly of some cagey, fierce, local derby in our football. Pretty it mostly aint :lol: It was certainly intriguing to follow.

That's exactly what I thought, too. Maybe my expectations were a little too high. Also, I haven't been able to follow this last season on a regular basis, so maybe I didn't really know what kind of game to expect with these two teams. Glad the Packers won though!

I suppose as a neutral observer it wasn't all that exciting. Neither team's offense played spectacular. The Packers started out that way but it didn't last. It was though a very typical Packer/Bear game. Those teams really hate each other and have the oldest rivalry in the league. Yesterday's game was the 182nd meeting between them. They hit hard and defense is usually key. It was exciting for me though. I'm pretty sure my heart needed jump starting more than once!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:24 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I suppose as a neutral observer it wasn't all that exciting. Neither team's offense played spectacular. The Packers started out that way but it didn't last. It was though a very typical Packer/Bear game. Those teams really hate each other and have the oldest rivalry in the league. Yesterday's game was the 182nd meeting between them. They hit hard and defense is usually key. It was exciting for me though. I'm pretty sure my heart needed jump starting more than once!

I was hoping like hell you'd hang on during those last few minutes. I was shouting at the screen every time they looked wide and would end up going out of bounds "just run the damn clock down!" It all worked out in the end :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:29 pm

I'm not even a Packers fan (they're definitely in my top 5 though) and my heart was in my mouth for the last few minutes of that game. I was shouting at the screen too, mostly to the Packers TE - Quarless "for God's sake catch the damn ball! 8-)
welshben23

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:25 pm

welshben23 wrote:I'm not even a Packers fan (they're definitely in my top 5 though) and my heart was in my mouth for the last few minutes of that game. I was shouting at the screen too, mostly to the Packers TE - Quarless "for God's sake catch the damn ball! 8-)

I was screaming "WhyTF are you calling a passing play on a 3rd and short?"
CatNamedRudy

Postby jrsightes » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:25 am

Clay Matthews was robbed for Defensive Player of the Year. Robbed.
jrsightes

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:30 am

jrsightes wrote:Clay Matthews was robbed for Defensive Player of the Year. Robbed.

I actually really like Troy Polamalu and think he's extremely talented but Matthews should have won that award.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm glad i don't give a shit about the Superbowl half-time show. I've finally taken a look at the details, and found out that the god-awful Black Eyed Peas are performing.

I'm very much looking forward to the game, though.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:53 am

So Bill Belichick wins Coach of the Year. While I don't have a huge problem admitting that Belichick is a very good football coach, I think it's beyond ridiculous that Packer coach Mike McCarty didn't one single vote. He brought a team filled with rag tag plug and play players to the Super Bowl! Half his starting lineup was on injured reserve a good share of the year! Including our best receiving tight end Jermichael Finley, our only running back Ryan Grant, a veteran offensive lineman Mark Tauscher and starting linebacker Nick Barnett. Add to that that Aaron Rodgers was out for 1 1/2 games with a concussion, Donald Driver missed a couple of games, Clay Matthews was hurt part of the season, Atari Bigby was out part of the season and Al Harris never made it back from being in injured reserve last season. (he ended up being cut).

Any other team would have folded like a deck of cards.
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:26 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I'm glad i don't give a shit about the Superbowl half-time show. I've finally taken a look at the details, and found out that the god-awful Black Eyed Peas are performing.

I'm very much looking forward to the game, though.

I don't mind The Black Eyed Peas but I rarely pay attention to the halftime show. The commercials though.........those are fun!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 am

Oh no, don't say that! :lol:

The half time hoop-la is much too long for me. It's always been quite difficult for me to get casual viewers to believe the Superbowl isn't just a bunch of marketing set pieces broken up with bits of a game bolted around it.

Anyway, how excited you feeling for tomorrow! Confident?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Oh no, don't say that! :lol:

The half time hoop-la is much too long for me. It's always been quite difficult for me to get casual viewers to believe the Superbowl isn't just a bunch of marketing set pieces broken up with bits of a game bolted around it.

Anyway, how excited you feeling for tomorrow! Confident?

I'm nervous.

I know the team is good and I know they can come through when it counts so I'm fairly confident but Pittsburgh and good and Big Ben is hard guy to bring down. It's going to be tough. Should be a good game though.
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Gotta go meet my parents for breakfast. I'm not sure I can eat! I'm a bit jacked up!

GO PACK!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Karin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Really looking forward to this, hoping for a good game. Probably have to brew a few pots of coffee before, though. :D
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
Karin

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:31 am

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: YOUR 2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!!!!

Super Bowl MVP Quarterback Aaron Rodgers and Linebacker Clay Matthews

CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Thats a fantastic picture aint it??!! i totaly enjoyed it last nite was biting my finger nails for the packers in the last few mins and im not caught up yet on sleep but it was well worth it!
woggle

Postby welshben23 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:48 pm

You certainly pulled that (Favre)Monkey off your back with style, didn't you Aaron! :D Great game. What a performance by Rodgers. Probably my 2nd favourite Super Bowl ever, nothing is ever going to beat Super Bowl 42 for me but that game last night came very close. Only had 4 hours sleep but as woggle says, it was totally worth it.
welshben23

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:10 am

CUTEST.SUPER BOWL.PICTURE.EVER!

CatNamedRudy

Postby jrsightes » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:56 am

I wonder when I'm going to stop smiling.... This feels so good!!!
jrsightes

Postby Karin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 am

What a great picture, Cat!
Karin

Postby kat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:44 pm

that's so cute, on another note, almost 1.5 million people watched the game on the BBC which is pretty good when you consider the coveage was on from 11pm to 4am
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:22 pm

One of the best Superbowls i've seen for a while. Not even the crappy Black Eyed Peas could spoil that game.

Pittsburgh paid a seriously heavy cost for those three turnovers, so they've only got themsleves to blame. The way Rodgers was playing meant it was a well deserved win, though.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby kat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:One of the best Superbowls i've seen for a while. Not even the crappy Black Eyed Peas could spoil that game.

Pittsburgh paid a seriously heavy cost for those three turnovers, so they've only got themsleves to blame. The way Rodgers was playing meant it was a well deserved win, though.

thank god for HDD recorders just wound past them
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion