The Wire

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby Agides » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Agides wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Yep, slide it in, you know you want to. :wink:

Oh yes!! It's there!! :wink:

Oops, gently does it! :wink:

'Gently/gentle' isn't really a word you'd associate with The Sopranos, is it??!! 'Rough' might be more appropriate!!

*purrs softly*
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:09 am

Agides wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Agides wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Yep, slide it in, you know you want to. :wink:

Oh yes!! It's there!! :wink:

Oops, gently does it! :wink:

'Gently/gentle' isn't really a word you'd associate with The Sopranos, is it??!! 'Rough' might be more appropriate!!

*purrs softly*

Yep, you should have roughly forced it in and out of the DVD player a few times, then smacked its arse and told it to get back to the Bing...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Agides » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:00 pm

S5 - 'More With Less', 'Unconfirmed Reports' 'Not For Attribution' All A+

Great start to S5. Glad to see the Bubbs situation has resolved itself nicely. Scene of the season so far has to be McNulty flashing his police badge at a passing cop car while [spoiler]banging some woman on the bonnet of a car!! [/spoiler] You gotta love him!! :lol:
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:18 pm

Agides wrote:S5 - 'More With Less', 'Unconfirmed Reports' 'Not For Attribution' All A+

Great start to S5. Glad to see the Bubbs situation has resolved itself nicely. Scene of the season so far has to be McNulty flashing his police badge at a passing cop car while [spoiler]banging some woman on the bonnet of a car!! [/spoiler] You gotta love him!! :lol:

Hehe, that's one of my favourites too! McNulty may well be my all-time TV hero! :D It's great being back to 'drunken wreck' McNulty after the goody-two-shoes we endured in S4 isn't it? :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Agides » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:20 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Agides wrote:S5 - 'More With Less', 'Unconfirmed Reports' 'Not For Attribution' All A+

Hehe, that's one of my favourites too! McNulty may well be my all-time TV hero! :D It's great being back to 'drunken wreck' McNulty after the goody-two-shoes we endured in S4 isn't it? :wink:

He's a f*cking legend! Women love it, men want to be him!!! :wink:
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Agides wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

I wouldn't mind trading places with him for a bit, definitely. Especially when he was with those two Russian hookers in S2! :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Agides » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Agides wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

I wouldn't mind trading places with him for a bit, definitely. Especially when he was with those two Russian hookers in S2! :D

And all in the name of duty!! :lol:
Agides

Postby Agides » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:27 pm

S5, ep8 'Clarifications' A+

O.
M.
F.
G.

No wonder the first 20 minutes of the finale didn't make sense to me not having seen this first!
My heart was positively pounding for the first quarter of an hour because I had such a bad feeling about Omar - he looked so vulnerable limping along. I then had to pause the disc and pace up and down the garden for 10 minutes after [spoiler]he got shot[/spoiler] because I couldn't concentrate on what followed.

Why do I always feel like I've been put through the wringer after watching an episode of this programme?? :?

Penultimate episode next. :cry:
Agides

Postby woggle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Agides wrote:S5, ep8 'Clarifications' A+

O.
M.
F.
G.

No wonder the first 20 minutes of the finale didn't make sense to me not having seen this first!
My heart was positively pounding for the first quarter of an hour because I had such a bad feeling about Omar - he looked so vulnerable limping along. I then had to pause the disc and pace up and down the garden for 10 minutes after [spoiler]he got shot[/spoiler] because I couldn't concentrate on what followed.Why do I always feel like I've been put through the wringer after watching an episode of this programme?? :?

Oh my word the one thing in the wire i was totally taken aback by . So i can understand your reaction .
woggle

Postby Agides » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:25 pm

woggle wrote:

O.
M.
F.
G.

My heart was positively pounding for the first quarter of an hour because I had such a bad feeling about Omar - he looked so vulnerable limping along. I then had to pause the disc and pace up and down the garden for 10 minutes after [spoiler]he got shot[/spoiler] because I couldn't concentrate on what followed.Why do I always feel like I've been put through the wringer after watching an episode of this programme?? :?

Oh my word the one thing in the wire i was totally taken aback by . So i can understand your reaction .

I was equally shocked when [spoiler]Stringer[/spoiler] copped it as well.
Agides

Postby woggle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:28 pm

Agides wrote:
woggle wrote:

O.
M.
F.
G.

Oh f***k yes same here ........ i never thought they'd have the balls to do it ..but they did ..
woggle

Postby Agides » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:31 pm

woggle wrote:
Agides wrote:
woggle wrote:

O.
M.
F.
G.

Oh f***k yes same here ........ i never thought they'd have the balls to do it ..but they did ..

I know!!! VERY brave move by the writers - but I guess that's what makes it a great show.

Same with [spoiler]D'Angelo[/spoiler] too. But I was more shocked about the way he died as opposed to his actual death.
Agides

Postby woggle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Agides wrote:
woggle wrote:
Agides wrote:
woggle wrote:

O.
M.
F.
G.

I know!!! VERY brave move by the writers - but I guess that's what makes it a great show.
Same with [spoiler]D'Angelo[/spoiler] too. But I was more shocked about the way he died as opposed to his actual death.

Abso- bloomin - lutly thats why i love it .......... and yea the underhandedness of it caught me off guard .
woggle

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:12 pm

O.
M.
F.
G.

My heart was positively pounding for the first quarter of an hour because I had such a bad feeling about Omar - he looked so vulnerable limping along. I then had to pause the disc and pace up and down the garden for 10 minutes after [spoiler]he got shot[/spoiler] because I couldn't concentrate on what followed.

Why do I always feel like I've been put through the wringer after watching an episode of this programme?? :?

Sorry, I missed this earlier. Yep, ep 8 is incredible. It actually made me really angry at first as I wanted [spoiler]Omar[/spoiler] to go out in style, all guns blazing. The way he went was shocking, but if felt a bit anti-climactic after the journey we'd been on with that character the whole series.

Have you and Mr A. seen the last two eps yet? The final montage is superb.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Agides » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:58 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Sorry, I missed this earlier. Yep, ep 8 is incredible. It actually made me really angry at first as I wanted [spoiler]Omar[/spoiler] to go out in style, all guns blazing. The way he went was shocking, but if felt a bit anti-climactic after the journey we'd been on with that character the whole series.

Totally get that - I didn't want anything to happen to him by the finale. The fact that [spoiler]his killer was an unknown character and the shooting was completely random[/spoiler] initially made me think "cop out" but when I reflected on it, I found the decision to end his storyline like that brave and appropriate.
If it's any consolation, Mr A was fuming for the same reason as you - so near yet so far. But then he and I have opposing views on 'The Sopranos' finale. I absolutely loved it and he found it highly unsatisfactory.

Have you and Mr A. seen the last two eps yet? The final montage is superb.

He has and I haven't. I still have 2 eps left as I'm really struggling with the fact that once they're watched that's it....there's no more. :? That said, it's probably right and proper that the show should go out on a high rather than run the risk of a couple of sloppy series before pulling the plug.
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:08 am

Agides wrote:Totally get that - I didn't want anything to happen to him by the finale. The fact that [spoiler]his killer was an unknown character and the shooting was completely random[/spoiler] initially made me think "cop out" but when I reflected on it, I found the decision to end his storyline like that brave and appropriate.
If it's any consolation, Mr A was fuming for the same reason as you - so near yet so far. But then he and I have opposing views on 'The Sopranos' finale. I absolutely loved it and he found it highly unsatisfactory.

I reasoned that David Simon was unhappy for [spoiler]Omar[/spoiler] to become such a cult hero figure and thought an utterly 'unheroic' death was a way to counter that.

He has and I haven't. I still have 2 eps left as I'm really struggling with the fact that once they're watched that's it....there's no more. :? That said, it's probably right and proper that the show should go out on a high rather than run the risk of a couple of sloppy series before pulling the plug.

I was like that myself with S5. I had it for about a month beofre watching, I just couldn't bring myself! At least I still had The Sopranos to look forward to at that point - I feel like I'm fast exhausting the well of great TV!

Plus, you have David Simon's excellent Generation Kill to look forward to after this...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Agides » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:47 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I reasoned that David Simon was unhappy for [spoiler]Omar[/spoiler] to become such a cult hero figure and thought an utterly 'unheroic' death was a way to counter that.

Funny you should say that - I did consider him a hero (albeit one who employed unorthodox methods!!) or maybe more of a tidyier-upper(sp??) and his demise shocked me no end. But when you think about it, he should be someone you completely despise and have no sympathy for. He was a cold-blooded murderer. Fact.

I was like that myself with S5. I had it for about a month beofre watching, I just couldn't bring myself! At least I still had The Sopranos to look forward to at that point - I feel like I'm fast exhausting the well of great TV!

Going to go back to The Sopranos for a complete rewatch after this. I have to have something wonderful to look forward to!! :wink:

Plus, you have David Simon's excellent Generation Kill to look forward to after this...

*rubs hands with glee*
:D
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:30 pm

Agides wrote:Funny you should say that - I did consider him a hero (albeit one who employed unorthodox methods!!) or maybe more of a tidyier-upper(sp??) and his demise shocked me no end. But when you think about it, he should be someone you completely despise and have no sympathy for. He was a cold-blooded murderer. Fact.

Yep, you're right. He was probably my favourite character other than McNulty, but he was certainly a cold-bloodied murderer. It's actually what I call Dexter syndrome, where the people he killed had no redeeming features of their own. Under those circumstances, I say it's ok to hero-worship a cold-bloodied killer! :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Agides » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Agides wrote:Funny you should say that - I did consider him a hero (albeit one who employed unorthodox methods!!) or maybe more of a tidyier-upper(sp??) and his demise shocked me no end. But when you think about it, he should be someone you completely despise and have no sympathy for. He was a cold-blooded murderer. Fact.

Yep, you're right. He was probably my favourite character other than McNulty, but he was certainly a cold-bloodied murderer. It's actually what I call Dexter syndrome, where the people he killed had no redeeming features of their own. Under those circumstances, I say it's ok to hero-worship a cold-bloodied killer! :D

Phew!! Such a relief!! I was beginning to worry about myself but if you say it's alright, then it must be!! :wink:
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:53 am

Agides wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

Phew!! Such a relief!! I was beginning to worry about myself but if you say it's alright, then it must be!! :wink:

Hehe, I allayed Cakey's fears about empathising with Dexter in exactly the same way! What a saint I am! :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Agides » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:43 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Agides wrote:Phew!! Such a relief!! I was beginning to worry about myself but if you say it's alright, then it must be!! :wink:

Hehe, I allayed Cakey's fears about empathising with Dexter in exactly the same way! What a saint I am! :D

Yes. Yes you are. :wink:

Tbh, I've always been very relaxed about my admiration for Dexter - I consider him something of a service provider.
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Thought I'd bump this as it starts its run for UK viewers on BBC2 tonight at 11:35pm (great scheduling eh :roll:), so those of you who don't want to invest in the DVDs can check out the show for free tonight and see what all the fuss is about :)

Btw, did anyone else hear Dominic West on 5Live this morning? He came across very well and took calls from the public etc. but christ it was weird hearing his posh Engish accent! I was hoping he'd sound more 'Yorkshire-y' seeing as he's from Sheffield.

He's still my hero though. :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Tom M » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Thought I'd bump this as it starts its run for UK viewers on BBC2 tonight at 11:35pm (great scheduling eh :roll:), so those of you who don't want to invest in the DVDs can check out the show for free tonight and see what all the fuss is about :)

Btw, did anyone else hear Dominic West on 5Live this morning? He came across very well and took calls from the public etc. but christ it was weird hearing his posh Engish accent! I was hoping he'd sound more 'Yorkshire-y' seeing as he's from Sheffield.

He's still my hero though. :D

Hey, thanks for the heads up! Better clear out some stuff from my DVR!
"Tom M" a.k.a. "Count Chocula!"
Last.FM: http://www.last.fm/user/TheJamFan2

All cried out; hungry now; ate entire box of Frosted Flakes; they're greeeat!
Niles Crane. :)
Tom M

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Just to say, in case people aren't aware, that The Wire will be broadcast every weeknight - rather than just weekly.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:11 am

There was some tv critic on the radio yesterday and he said he'd only ever watched the first episode of The Wire, and thought that people only thought it was a great show because they felt they looked stupid to others if they didn't :roll: He said he was more looking forward to two upcoming wedding episodes on Eastenders and Coronation Street than The Wire starting on BBC. Way to look like a credible critic. :lol:

I wouldn't have given it a second though if he'd watched a season and then had constructive reasons for not liking.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion