Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

This is Spinal Tap

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

This is Spinal Tap

Postby freewill » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:59 am

I was watching this recently, and it made me wonder what the Brits think of it. American acotrs playing as a mock British heavy-metal band. I saw it a long time ago, and it remains one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. There are actually not very many hysterical, laugh-out-loud moments, but just the little, subtle laughs that the movie constantly scores, such as the fact that the band first formed as The Originals, then had to change the name because there was already a band called The Originals. Just wondering who else has seen it and what you though of it.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill

Re: This is Spinal Tap

Postby Paul » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:40 am

An absolute stone cold classic.

Quite apart from the full out non stop humour, the actors British accents raises an interesting point for us Frasier fans. I had no idea when I first saw the film that the actors were American - the accents are unacnny and fully realised. Wish I could say the same for some of the none- brit actors playing brit parts in Frasier (can you hear me Simon Moon and Clive)?

Why are Spinal Tap the opposite to The Ramones? Whilst all the Tap drummers died, including one from a 'bizaare gardening accident', the two guys who drummed for The Ramones are the only surviving members.
Paul

Postby Mappeal » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:36 pm

Spinal Tap is such an influential film but most people don't even realise it. The amps that go all the way up to 11 when 10 just isn't loud enough has been used just recently in an advert and as witty as the ad was I reckon most people who saw it would have no idea that the joke wasn't new.
Love the Stonehenge routine with the set designer thinking that the drawing he is working from is the actual size set that the band wants leading to the bizarre sight of the dwarves on stage! The whole career trajectory of the band is so like many really bad metal bands that it is quite cruel but spot on with the resurrection of the band in Japan plus the Yoko type girlfriend who helps to break the band apart! absolutely brilliant stuff!
Mappeal

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:00 pm

"What's wrong with being sexy?" One of my all-time favourite films!

Yes, the British accents are uncanny but Christopher Guest (with Michael McKean, Harry Shearer and Rob Reiner here) always pays great attention to detail in his acutely observed spoof documentary films. I actually own both the official Spinal Tap albums. I think 'Break Like The Wind' contains more good songs than the original soundtrack album but both are great fun. 'Stone Henge' is a classic!

Would love to see them reform for Live 8 like Pink Floyd and Roger Waters are reportedly doing (although I won't believe this until I see the warring Gilmour and Waters together on the same stage![:]:-O[/:])
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Mappeal » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:19 pm

Looks like it's official Jocelyn! Floyd back together for Live8. Wow! Certainly better than the proposed Spice Girls reunion for the same show.
Mappeal

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:25 pm

Unbelievable news!

To have the more recent three-man line up of Pink Floyd reforming after 11 years would be enough of a surprise but to have Roger Waters rejoining them after all the bad blood of the last two decades is downright shocking!

What next? Syd Barrett returning as frontman?[:];-)[/:]
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

Jocelyn

Postby Mappeal » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:33 pm

Bet there's no group hug on stage after they do their set![:]:-))[/:]! Wonder what Syd's up to now anyway?
Mappeal

Postby Jocelyn » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:45 pm

It was only recently that Waters was ranting in an interview about what a crap songwriter he thinks Gilmour is. I sense immediate fisticuffs once the two of them get on stage![:]:-))[/:]

As for Roger 'Syd' Barrett, I expect he may be watching the event on TV at his house in Cambridge. Wonder if he actually remembers who his former bandmates are?[:]?[/:]

Jocelyn

Postby Ali 75 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:47 am

Great news about Floyd[:]:-))[/:]. I love bands who hate each other, it always seems to add spice to their performances!
Ali 75

Postby Jocelyn » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:59 pm

The Floyd definitely lost their musical edge when that grumpy old bugger Waters jumped ship, so a bit of friction should do them good[:]:-))[/:]

No surprise that eBay vultures are already flogging their free Live 8 tickets for extortionate amounts. The organisers should have seen that one coming[:]:-I[/:]

Jocelyn

Postby Mappeal » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:35 pm

OMG! Just finished watching Pink Floyd on Live 8 and they DID have a group hug at the end of their set! Funny as ****! Dave Gilmour was in great voice and Comfortably Numb was spine tingling! Great to see so many young uns singing along to it even if they only know the song through the Scissor Sisters. Wonderful stuff.
Mappeal

Postby Sideshow Meg » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:42 pm

Pink Floyd were excellent and I did catch Comfortabley numb which was excellent and nice for me because like you said, i had only heard the Scissor Sisters version although i was aware that it was a Pink Floyd song. However, i did drift in and out of sleep through their set though because the show was seriously delayed and i was tired and ill.

I loved Hey Jude at the end though it did remind me of when my uncle got drunk in a French karaoke bar and took it as his duty to butcher the song along which a rather drunk Irish woman by his side...oh the memories

The beginning was also brilliant and i absolutely loved Macca's set
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Paul » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:04 pm

The Floyd were magnificent, and I'm sure their CD sales will soar in the next few weeks.

Nice to hear Roger dedicate Wish You Were Hear to their great lost leader Syd Barrett. Tales of the great man relate that he does little but sit around watching television all day, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that he saw the performance, which would be pretty mind blowing.
Paul

Postby Jocelyn » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:27 pm

The Floyd's set was perfect. Just perfect. Amazing to see just the four of them (with a couple of extra musicians where necessary) playing as a tight four piece in a way they haven't done for almost 30 years. Okay, Nick Mason missed his cue at the start of 'Money' and Roger Waters vocals on 'Wish You Were Here' were croaky to say the least but it was wonderfully moving all the same. I was watching Roger's fingers at the end when he held up a 'peace' sign behind Dave's head just in case he started doing bunny ears but I'm pleased to say he's a bit more mature than that[:]:-))[/:] Great dedication to Syd as mentioned and a very funny moment when the camera picked out an audience member sitting on his mate's shoulders playing air guitar to 'Comfortably Numb'[:]:-}[/:] I think when the DVD comes out I'll be watching this performance as many times as I've watched Queen's set on the Live Aid DVD.

Jocelyn

Postby tenpercenter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:45 pm

spinal pap
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby welshben23 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:21 pm

tenpercenter wrote:spinal pap

No offense, but is there any need to resurrect a SIX year old thread just to say that. :?
welshben23

Postby tenpercenter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:51 am

yes
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:42 pm

:twisted: Spinal Tap is awesome 8-) You'd never guess the actors are not English 8-)
Really well played.
I went mad when I found out I missed a gig by Spinal Tap which was opened by The Folksmen (the band played by the same actors in A Mighty Wind).
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby insaneasperger » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:23 pm

welshben23 wrote:
tenpercenter wrote:spinal pap

No offense, but is there any need to resurrect a SIX year old thread just to say that. :?

Yeh there is, it will annoy you! :wink:
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby freewill » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:14 am

Aww, I'm genuinely touched that this old thread has been bumped! You could say this thread "went to '11" before being resurrected.
"Your ex-wife is ruining my sex life!"
freewill

Postby tenpercenter » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:48 pm

yeah!
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Return to Off Topic Discussion