Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Timber Mill

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

The Timber Mill

Postby Moviedude81 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Anyone else think that Frasier and Niles take their criticisms of "The Timber Mill" a bit too far? It's the kinda place I'd love to eat at...as long as I bring a cheap tie! :p
Moviedude81

Re: The Timber Mill

Postby Patrick » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:19 pm

I agree there's nothing wrong with a place like this as long as you don't get tricked into going there with one of your best ties on. :D

I think that both Frasier and Niles and especially Niles are a little too much of a couple of delicate hothouse flowers. Roz used once the expression "big doily" which I think applies perfectly. It's one thing to be a connoisseur of the finest things in life, it's quite another to be an imbecile about the simpler ones.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Yep, the place looked fine to me. I'd definitely be more than a little peeved if i was an unwitting newbie and they cut one of my Hugo Boss ties, though. :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Eddie2012 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 pm

I do recoil a little at the meat carried around all evening in the restaurant...

And the tie being cut off - NO way! I imagine my fella wearing the tie I gave him for a special occasion and than that! NOPE!

Otherwise I'll happily eat there :D
Eddie2012

Postby rsjones1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:45 pm

In my opinion it was a little bit over the top, I think it highlights too much the differences between Niles, Frasier with Martin. But still an enjoyable episode.
And like the above posts I wouldn't like my Hugo boss tie to be cut. :)
rsjones1

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 am

rsjones1 wrote:In my opinion it was a little bit over the top, I think it highlights too much the differences between Niles, Frasier with Martin. But still an enjoyable episode.
And like the above posts I wouldn't like my Hugo boss tie to be cut. :)

I thought the contrast between them was ok because it was at the very beginning of the show. If it happened at any time later than season 1, it would have been too much.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:52 am

To me, the OTT is the point of the entire episode. While the average guy (or girl) would love someplace like The Timber Mill, Frasier and Niles wouldn't like it even if they DID like it! They would never admit to enjoying a place that isn't all hoity toity and Michelin 5 Star rated! I love that episode.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby hansenkd » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:15 am

They didn't just pull the tie cutting thing out of thin air. This is a very common and well-known practice in steak restaurants. The fact that Frasier and Niles were so unsuspecting is part of the joke. Trail Dust, Texas Roadhouse...they all do it.
hansenkd

Postby Patrick » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 am

hansenkd wrote:They didn't just pull the tie cutting thing out of thin air. This is a very common and well-known practice in steak restaurants. The fact that Frasier and Niles were so unsuspecting is part of the joke. Trail Dust, Texas Roadhouse...they all do it.

How do they manage not to get sued once in a while, after all it's defacing someone's private property isn't it?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:23 pm

hansenkd wrote:They didn't just pull the tie cutting thing out of thin air. This is a very common and well-known practice in steak restaurants. The fact that Frasier and Niles were so unsuspecting is part of the joke. Trail Dust, Texas Roadhouse...they all do it.

Where?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Eddie2012 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:17 pm

You got to be kidding...
Eddie2012

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Suddenly, I'm very happy to be a girl and a vegetarian :shock:
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:09 pm

PistolPoet wrote:Suddenly, I'm very happy to be a girl and a vegetarian :shock:

... and not American, because I've never heard of such a thing in France nor do I think that it's even possible. People would go there with expensive ties just so that they could sue them to bankruptcy.

I've seen enough nice restaurants with young owners go bankrupt to believe that you'd have to be insane to do anything that could upset your clientele and when I say anything it's more along the lines of a too gaudy wall decoration for example than doing anything close to that. That's just suicide.
Last edited by Patrick on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Patrick wrote:

How do they manage not to get sued once in a while, after all it's defacing someone's private property isn't it?

I agree. The insurance premium must be sky high to cover them from litigation for something that crazy. They can have no defence whatsoever. "Common and well-known practice" just wouldn't cut it.

I can't see anything about it on the Texas Roadhouse website, but I can see it on the Trail House site. They more sensibly mention that they ask you take them off or else you get it cut off. :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Patrick wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:Suddenly, I'm very happy to be a girl and a vegetarian :shock:

... and not American, because I've never heard of such a thing in France nor do I think that it's even possible. People would go there with expensive ties just so that they could sue them to bankruptcy.

I've seen enough nice restaurants with young owners go bankrupt to believe that you'd have to be insane to do anything that could upset your clientele and when I say anything it's more along the lines of a too gaudy wall decoration for example than doing anything close to that. That's just suicide.

Sorry to disappoint Patrick but I've never heard of a such a thing actually happening in the US either. It most certainly isn't "common practice." I've been all over this country and in a lot of steak houses. Never once did I see someone get their tie cut off.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Patrick wrote:People would go there with expensive ties just so that they could sue them to bankruptcy

I think there'd be a difference between going into a place knowing the rules and going somewhere 'blind'. All i could find was the Trail House Steak House that warned that there are no ties to be worn after 5pm. And you'll get asked to take it off or you can have it cut off. Daft gimmick based on their 'dress code' and a bit of fun.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby hansenkd » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:30 am

OK, maybe "well-known" is too much, but it does exist. They DO warn people. Martin knew and chose not to tell his sons so that he could get a laugh. He probably told the staff to do it and that he'd cover their liability. The episode ends with him being apalled at their behavior, but, as usual, he wasn't completely innocent either. Examples:

http://pinnaclepeaksteakhouse.com/No_Ties_Allowed.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sT6BNQnLu4
http://www.traildust.com/

Traildust closed in the Denver area. Reference to the episode:

http://culinary-colorado.com/2009/12/30 ... -the-dust/

Basically, it's a gimmick that anybody who goes in there should know about. Most people probably go in there wearing ugly ties to contribute to the gimmick. My point is that the writers didn't just pull this out of their a$$.
hansenkd

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:15 pm

hansenkd wrote:OK, maybe "well-known" is too much, but it does exist. They DO warn people. Martin knew and chose not to tell his sons so that he could get a laugh. He probably told the staff to do it and that he'd cover their liability. The episode ends with him being apalled at their behavior, but, as usual, he wasn't completely innocent either. Examples:

http://pinnaclepeaksteakhouse.com/No_Ties_Allowed.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sT6BNQnLu4
http://www.traildust.com/

Traildust closed in the Denver area. Reference to the episode:

http://culinary-colorado.com/2009/12/30 ... -the-dust/

Basically, it's a gimmick that anybody who goes in there should know about. Most people probably go in there wearing ugly ties to contribute to the gimmick. My point is that the writers didn't just pull this out of their a$$.

Yep, i've read up on a few places doing it since reading about Trail Dust. Sounds like a fun gimmick. I could see people going with tie especially for the snip :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hawkspur » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 pm

It happened at my old workplace once. A guy didn't take off his tie, it got chopped, he stapled it back together and then it got chopped again. The stapling and second chop was done for a photo though.
This was is an otherwise fairly upmarket-looking office too.

Any time someone wore a tie they were asked whether they were going for a job interview somewhere.
Hawkspur

Postby Forever Jung » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:34 am

:twisted: I suppose they'd be covered from crminal liability if they have a sign up in the widow or entrance. It doesn't even have to be very big or stand out too much.

Weather it's good business..........

On one hand it's not a good idea to piss off a customer by hacking up their clothing.

On the other hand, I dare say that the prospect of watching some poor git have their tie hacked off would be an attraction to some folks.

I wonder how often it actually happens?
I don't think many folks who would go to The Timber Mill would be the kind of folks to wear a tie to go there (not being snobby here :wink: ) although I like the look of the place and i'd also be likely to wear a tie to the place if I didn't know the rule.

I think it's more of marketing gimmick than a regular practice. The fact the rule is there is designed to guarentee a meal in a casual and relaxed atmosphere.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:41 am

Forever Jung wrote:...On the other hand, I dare say that the prospect of watching some poor git have their tie hacked off would be an attraction to some folks...

I think you're on to something here. I can see some people becoming regulars to a place like that, hoping they'll get a good laugh at seeing someone getting his tie cut off. The kind of people who watch these TV shows where people send tapes of themselves falling down for example, they're a dime a dozen. Personally, this kind of crap makes me want to throw the TV in the dumpster, but to each his own.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Return to Frasier Discussion