Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Music!

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Music!

Postby Emil » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Don't you love those rare - too rare - moments in Frasier when they use music for a comic effect? Several in the staff of Frasier were famously musically gifted and there is plenty of music in the show, but only in a few instances did the music itself make the punchline. In those rare cases, it worked so brilliantly that I wonder why it wasn't done before.
I am talking about episodes like these:
The babysitter: Frasier gets jealous while duetting with Ronee
They're playing our song: Frasier's jingle itself. And Martin's. The whole episode, really
Frasier's curse: Frasier joins in with the Check-mates in the final scene

and that's really all I can think of! Are there any more?
Emil

Re: Music!

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:31 pm

I guess Frasier playing Great Balls Of Fire at the start of Daphne's Room would count?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:05 pm

There's the "glockenspiel incident" with its double meaning. :D

Daphne :" Your glockenspiel has sprung to life!"
Niles: ...?!? Oh! you mean the clock! :lol:

There's Frasier, unable to play a Beethoven piece on the piano.

There's the Perfect Guy singing ridiculously bad.

There's Frasier starting a romantic piece with his remote again and again and each time greeting to his annoyance someone at his door, NOT HIS DATE.

There's Frasier singing with the guys er... blokes at Daphne's pub.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frasiertime » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am

How about -
Niles with Tie Me Kangaroo Down
All 3 Cranes with Shaft
Martin with the Christmas song (I don't remember the song) the note he couldn't hit
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:21 am

Plenty of good ones from people here. Shows how many there are.

Frasiertime wrote:All 3 Cranes with Shaft

That's reminded me that the three Crane men also did 'Goldfinger'.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Frasiertime » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:28 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Plenty of good ones from people here. Shows how many there are.

Now that I think of it, the song was Goldfinger-I don't think they sang Shaft, did they?
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:42 am

Frasiertime wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Plenty of good ones from people here. Shows how many there are.

Now that I think of it, the song was Goldfinger-I don't think they sang Shaft, did they?

I can't remember a Shaft song, but i had it in my head that they did another song together somewhere in another episode and thought you might be referring to that one. Maybe i'm just thinking of the Martin song you'd also mentioned!

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 am

The only other one I remember them doing together was Oh Holy Night.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby tgirl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 am

In sliding Frasiers (season 8) Frasier sings the love song to his clutzy girlfriend (I can't remember her name, though it begins with an M I'm sure). At the end he asks her if she would say the words I do and she places her hand over the microphone and says 'Frasier we need to talk.' Yet another comic moment where toss salads and scrambled eggs come calling to Frasier.
FlEsH Is BuRnINg NaNanAnANanA
tgirl

Postby Patrick » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:24 am

Take a leap: Frasier tries to sing a difficult song from Rigoletto and then changes his mind and tries Buttons and Bows instead but he doesn't realize that he's forgotten the lyrics.

Midwinter Night's dream: Niles plays a classical piece on the piano and bungles it up when he sees Daphne in her nightie.

Sweat Dreams: During the end credits they sing "Tossed Salads & Scrambled Eggs" in Spanish.

Good Grief: Frasier sings his operetta in duet with Martin.

I am sure there are others.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Whisper of cinnamon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Some great moments mentioned in this thread. Here are some more:

How about Frasier's song at the end of Seabee Jeebies, sung to the tune of 'Moon River', whilst the camera cuts to all the chaos around him?!

And what about Martin Does It His Way and the classic 'She's Such A Groovy Lady'?!

Niles teaching Daphne and Roz the piano in Bla-Z-Boy - Daphne keeps playing the wrong notes, even though we find out later she had lessons for years!

Anne and her awful trumpet playing in The Anne Who Came To Dinner.

The old punk song Daphne remembers that gets in everyone's head - 'Flesh is burning, na na na na na na...'!
Last edited by Whisper of cinnamon on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whisper of cinnamon

Postby Stina » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Patrick wrote:Take a leap: Frasier tries to sing a difficult song from Rigoletto and then changes his mind and tries Buttons and Bows instead but he doesn't realize that he's forgotten the lyrics.

Midwinter Night's dream: Niles plays a classical piece on the piano and bungles it up when he sees Daphne in her nightie.

Sweat Dreams: During the end credits they sing "Tossed Salads & Scrambled Eggs" in Spanish.

Good Grief: Frasier sings his operetta in duet with Martin.

I am sure there are others.

The moment when Frasier realises that he forgotten the lyrics to Buttons....is one of my absolute favourite moments of Frasier. It's just incredible fun. And right now I'm singing "flesh is burning..." to myself and my kids!!
Stina

Postby tgirl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:09 am

Watching Whine Club now and two brilliant songs that are perfect for this discussion are:

1) Rule corkmaster (A spin on the tune of Rule Britannia)...I particularly love the way Roz says 'I already hate you for putting that song in my head.'

2) Daphne's drunk rendition of the song about Bloody Mary which she uses as an excuse to have another drink. 'With her ead tucked underneath her arm she walked the bloody tower.' LOL at drunk Daphne :)
FlEsH Is BuRnINg NaNanAnANanA
tgirl

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:30 am

tgirl wrote:Watching Whine Club now and two brilliant songs that are perfect for this discussion are:

1) Rule corkmaster (A spin on the tune of Rule Britannia)...I particularly love the way Roz says 'I already hate you for putting that song in my head.'

2) Daphne's drunk rendition of the song about Bloody Mary which she uses as an excuse to have another drink. 'With her ead tucked underneath her arm she walked the bloody tower.' LOL at drunk Daphne :)

Or that part from the episode with Woody:

Daphne: Who's that pretty girl in the mirror there?
What mirror, where?
Who could that attractive girl be?
Which, what, where, who?
Who?
Martin: Daphne?
Daphne: Who?
Martin: Daphne?
Daphne: Who?
Frasier: DAPHNE!!!

:D
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:54 am

tgirl wrote:Watching Whine Club now and two brilliant songs that are perfect for this discussion are:

A friend oenophile of mine was shocked that they would blend wines. It's a cardinal sin of wine tasting. He said maybe next time they could put coca cola and vinegar in it to make it even harder to identify. Or maybe each contestant should eat a jalapeno pepper. :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Blended wines are not uncommon. It's not like they opened two bottles of wine and mixed them in the same glass. They are made that way by blending different types of grapes together.

http://wine.lovetoknow.com/wiki/What_Is_a_Wine_Blend

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/why ... ng-matters
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:08 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Blended wines are not uncommon. It's not like they opened two bottles of wine and mixed them in the same glass. They are made that way by blending different types of grapes together.

http://wine.lovetoknow.com/wiki/What_Is_a_Wine_Blend

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/why ... ng-matters

I am sorry but you just don't mix two great wines together the way they did in the episode. It makes about as much sense as playing base ball with a basket ball or making a car out of parts from a Ferrari and a Mercedes or cutting two dresses in half one by versace and one by Cardin and making a new one with the pieces.

There is much more to wines than just the grapes they're made of, there is the precise way by which they're made, part of which is often a secret . If you think you can just mix together grapes from a great Cabernet and grapes from a great Merlot and that you'll get more than a second class vino then think again.

Also , real wine tasters don't simply guess the regional origin of the wine, they typically get the precise location and the year as well, things they didn't do in this episode.
Last edited by Patrick on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Sigh...just when I think you and I are starting to get along ok, you have to respond in a snotty manner.

We see the episode differently and I'm leaving it at that.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Sigh...just when I think you and I are starting to get along ok, you have to respond in a snotty manner.

As I said before, there is more to a wine than the grapes it's made of.

I am sorry if you find that simple fact offensive.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Eddie2012 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Patrick wrote:I am sorry but you just don't mix two great wines together the way they did in the episode..

They didn't open two bottles and mix the contents. The judge (or whatever) reveals just one bottle of wine, a blend.
Patrick wrote:There is much more to wines than just the grapes they're made of, there is the precise way by which they're made, part of which is often a secret .

CatNamedRudy did not say that. She just said that a 'blend' is a wine made of more than one type/vintages of grapes. She didn't say that's all you need to do to create a good wine.
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:
Patrick wrote:I am sorry but you just don't mix two great wines together the way they did in the episode..

They didn't open two bottles and mix the contents. The judge (or whatever) reveals just one bottle of wine, a blend.
Patrick wrote:There is much more to wines than just the grapes they're made of, there is the precise way by which they're made, part of which is often a secret .

CatNamedRudy did not say that. She just said that a 'blend' is a wine made of more than one type of grapes. She didn't say that's all you need to do to create a good wine...

I just conveyed that real oenophiles are likely to be shocked by the wine tasting of this episode and Cat's response didn't address that while making it appear like it did. That's what I took exception to. I'll leave it at that.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:10 pm

Patrick wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Sigh...just when I think you and I are starting to get along ok, you have to respond in a snotty manner.

Wow! I see you actually edited the part I found offensive out of your original post! That would be the part where you told me I totally missed the point by a country mile and I was basically an idiot. (and no you did not directly say I was an idiot but was implied)

I find nothing offensive about what you have rewritten and as was pointed out, I never once said anything about wine being only about the grapes. What I said was that blends are quite common. And then I posted a couple of links to prove my point. End of story.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Eddie2012 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Incidentally, while in Whine Club it is clear that Niles never was president/corkmaster of the club ("I covet this post as much as you do, I always have, and I think I deserve a shot at it"), in Here's Looking At You he says he is:

N: Well of course, as so often happens, rough house turns to tears. At the end of the evening, Brewster tended his resignation.
F: That must have put a damper on the evening.
N: Well, not really. I'm the new president.

Or are president and corkmaster two different posistion within the club? I always thought them to be one and the same.
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:17 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Wow! I see you actually edited the part I found offensive out of your original post! That would be the part where you told me I totally missed the point by a country mile and I was basically an idiot. (and no you did not directly say I was an idiot but was implied)

I find nothing offensive about what you have rewritten and as was pointed out, I never once said anything about wine being only about the grapes. What I said was that blends are quite common. And then I posted a couple of links to prove my point. End of story.

I agree that I edited out the part about you missing the point by a great distance which I did before I saw your response. I didn't do any editing of the significant part though and though I did that to appear less assertive I didn't think that you had become so touchy that you would take a remark like that as the same a calling you an idiot. I guess next time I'll have my post proofread by a Mormon before hitting send.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:Incidentally, while in Whine Club it is clear that Niles never was president/corkmaster of the club ("I covet this post as much as you do, I always have, and I think I deserve a shot at it"), in Here's Looking At You he says he is:

N: Well of course, as so often happens, rough house turns to tears. At the end of the evening, Brewster tended his resignation.
F: That must have put a damper on the evening.
N: Well, not really. I'm the new president.

Or are president and corkmaster two different posistion within the club? I always thought them to be one and the same.

Yes I noticed that too and in another episode Frasier hopes to be named "Maître de chai" (Cellar master) which is yet a third appellation for what appears to be the same position.

It's in Kisses sweeter Than Wine, btw.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Next

Return to Frasier Discussion