Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Best and Worst of Season - 10

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Best and Worst of Season - 10

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:25 am

This was quite an easy, clear-cut choice for me for a change.

Best - Star Mitzvah - Like my season 9 choice, I really liked this ep and it made me laugh a lot, but is perhaps not quite in the classic bracket. The funniest part was certainly Frasier's Hebrew speach which Noel gave him in Klingon!! This made me howl, possibly because I used to work with a guy who actually had an English-Klingon dictionary and delighted in using phrases ; signing leaving cards ; changing system passwords using Klingon [:]:-))[/:] A vey sad individual. Who says everyone who works in I.T. is a geek?!?!

Worst - A New Position For Roz - Not a terrible episode but I'm picking it for the horrible 'out of character' moment when Roz gets jealous of Frasier and Julia's relationship and makes Frasier choose between them. This created a very forced cliffhanger and IMO was something the producers insisted on to claw back some of the ratings lost during the previous 3 seasons. I also have another theory that showrunners Dan O'Shannon and Mark Reisman knew that Joe Keenan and Christopher Lloyd were back on staff for the last season and wanted to leave them in as big a mess as Lloyd/Keenan had left them in at the end of Season 7! Ok, a lighthearted theory really. I do detest the 'Friends' style cliffhangers though, I think they cheapen the whole show.

Overall I thought S10 was a marked improvement on the 2 previous seasons, with many more above average (though still no classic) episodes. I also enjoyed "The Devil and Dr Phil" but I know I'm in a minority with that. It's purely for Bebe's "Devil" scene. It was totally contrived, but very funny. I loved Frasier's 'mummy-like' walk towards Bebe in that scene, as though she's totally entranced him!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Re: Best and Worst of Season - 10

Postby Sam » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:13 pm

Best - Like Beer, Star Mitzvah was my favourite. Not a classic, but very funny. I also like Fathers and Sons, Bristle While You Walk and Fraternal Schwinns.

Worst - Where do i start? I hated the Niles heart surgery episode/arc, because it was blatantly a ratings grabber. It was a very serious and dramatic episode, and I thought it felt very out of place in the context of the show. When Frasier usually deals with drama, they do lighten up the moment with a bit of comedy, but Rooms With a View lacked that. I just didn't buy it, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Also, I didn't like anything with Julia in S.10. Her character was annoying and two dimensional and the episodes with her in were poorly written. The lack of clever writing was substantially noticeable in S.10 (and S.9 and 8). The quick rapport and sharp delivery of clever witty lines were sparce, and the show seemed to rely on physical humour in this season I believe.

I know I'm in the minority here also, but I really didn't like Daphne Does Dinner. I thought it was the worst piece of farce 'Frasier' has seen. I thought the guest characters lacked any dimension, and found some scenes to be drawn out and slow.

My worst episode in S.10 though would have to be Kissing Cousins. A typical 'Friends' episode IMO, but a 'Friends' episode is much better than this. Everything about it was cringeworthy. The guest star was annoying and had no funny lines, there was an overuse of Kenny (who gets very annoying after a while) and it was basically a very badly written episode which I was embarassed to watch.

Many eps in S.10, therefore, I found were quite embarassing to watch. The 2 closing episodes of the season were just diabolical. The show turned into a 'soap' towards the end, and if I hadn't heard JK and CL were returning, I would've been very sceptical if deciding to watch S.11. If 'Frasier' had finished on the same note as S.10 did, it wouldn've been a great shame, but luckily JK saved the day :-)
Sam

Postby Stu » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:49 pm

Sam

Your thoughts about the Niles heart surgery story arc reminded me about an e-mail I received about my review of those episodes around the time I wrote them, the contents of which I haven't shared before. If you read the episode capsules for the story arc, you'll see that I made much the same point that you did - namely, it was a ploy to grab ratings etc.

The e-mail said he had looking round the site and found the reviews interesting, but on the Niles heart surgery story arc that I was wrong, and should get my facts straight before writing such stuff. The interesting thing for me was that it was signed by Dan O'Shannon.

Now obviously, I've got no way of knowing whether it was really him as the e-mail address wasn't a Grub Street or Paramount one, but you have to wonder why someone would bother to impersonate a guy who, outside of Frasier circles, is barely known.

Stuart
--------
Frasier Online Webmaster

Frasier: I suppose the situation you're in is that you'd like to stay with Maris but you'd like an affair with Daphne
Niles: Yes. Can I do that?
Frasier: No, you can't!
Stu
Site Admin

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:23 pm

Wow, another former Frasier showrunner reads these boards then Stu, although a slightly less illustrious one than Joe Keenan. It's interesting that he defended that storyline, perhaps it had some personal significance for him? Whatever his gripe, he should at least be able to understand why the fans would see this as a grab for ratings, I think it's lowest US ratings occurred during this season. As I mentioned, the 'cliffhanger' at the end was another piece of 'Friends' style soap I could have done without.

The mail was probably genuine though. I've read the Joe Keenan posts (plus the letters from JK to Meg that she posted here) and I'm convinced that they're genuine. There isn't a syllable out of place and his writing is grammatically perfect (unlike mine, and most people's for that matter). They had all the hallmarks of a professional writer. Also the JK post had an American IP domain. I know that doesn't prove anything (with a population in excess of 250 million!), but along with everything else it's convinced me they were genuine posts.

Is there any chance of posting his mail on the board (if you still have it), or would you prefer to keep it private?

Cheers [:]:-)[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stu » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:17 pm

Yeah, I've got no problem with posting it on the board, BN. I'll dig it out of my e-mails in the next day or so.

Stuart
--------
Frasier Online Webmaster

Frasier: I suppose the situation you're in is that you'd like to stay with Maris but you'd like an affair with Daphne
Stu
Site Admin

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:36 pm

I haven't seen a great deal of Season 10, but of the few episodes I have seen I would say my favourite episode was:

Fraternal Schwims, because I enjoyed Daphine trying to teach Frasier and Niles how to ride a bike. The chartiy race was fun as well, as well as all the crashing and falling off. I also enjoyed Daphine Does Dinner, which I found very entertaining. Trophy Girlfriend was OK as well, as I enjoyed the visions Frasier had of his school gym class days, and then at the end the squash teacher has a reversed vision.

My worst episode of this season, and indeed of all time was definitely 'Door Jam', which is where Frasier and Niles try to get themselves admitted into an exclusive spa, but then they find out there's a silver door, and then a gold door, and then a diamond/platinum door. How boring! The sub-plot where Daphine told Martin he was like Rockford was cringe-worthy, pointless, boring, unfunny and about as entertaining as a maths exam. An episode that would only score 2/10, and penned by the same 'rubbish' writer who wrote S11 clunker 'Coots and Ladders'. This episode also had an interesting history, for David Lee said it was rejected first time round due to lack of luahgs (that must have been dire then) and then David Hyde Pierce apparently hit his head and was rushed to hospital during filming.

Having said this, I have seen very little from this season so I think my favourite episde will definitely change: but, believe me, I can't see my worst one changing and if it does I don't want to see it.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Jocelyn » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:35 pm

Out of Seasons 8, 9 & 10, this is the best of an unloved bunch. Despite the critical drubbing it seemed to recieve in the US (UK reviewers were generally more positive), this was something of an improvement on the last two disappointments without ever quite reaching the quality of the classic seasons (that would take another year!).

Favourite episode: I have four favourites this season. 'Daphne Does Dinner' was a highly enjoyable addition to the Montana farces (Okay, nowhere as good as 'To Kill A Talking Bird' but possibly on a par with 'Taps At The Montana'). 'Fraternal Schwinns' was great fun with some particularly funny sparring between Martin and Gertrude as well as the splendidly silly visual montage (set to classical music) of Frasier and Niles on their bicycles. 'Roe To Perdition' proved a far out and funny episode which ended with the laugh out loud sight of Frasier and Niles stuffing their faces with caviar (the subplot with Martin and Daphne trying to return some money to the bank was excellent too) but my favourite of the season was Fathers And Sons. Last year Kelsey Grammer cited this as one of his personal favourites and it would certainly have held it's own in one of the classic seasons. David Ogden Stiers was the perfect guest star while the episode featured some great visual jokes; Frasier being read a bedtime story, Niles taking his first 'babysteps', and ended with the wonderful rendition of 'Tit Willow' at the piano (with Martin throwing his cane down in disgust). I've said it before but this would have been a great way to end the season. Instead they had to go and ruin things in the most apalling ratings-driven way. Which leads to...

Worst episode: A New Position For Roz. Nothing much more needs to be said about why this was so bad. Even the brief attempt at comedy with Roz's KACL leaving do fell flat (although Gil downing a glass of wine in one is worth a look). A horribly contrived 'cliffhanger' which thanks to her out-of-character and childish whining, actually made me dislike the character of Roz (something I'd never previously thought possible).

BTW Stuart, I would also be very interested to read your email from DO'S when you have the time[:]:-)[/:]

Post Edited (18-11-05 15:51)
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Stu » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:13 pm

Ok, I've found the e-mail supposedly from Dan O'Shannon. Re-reading it again after all this time, I still don't think it makes much sense, but see what you make of it:

hi

stumbled onto your website today and looked up a few episodes. found it very
interesting, often insightful.

a correction: season 10's "room with a view" was not concocted to get
ratings. it was conceived and written during pre-production, simply because
we didn't want to end the previous episode with niles having a sinus
infection. if you are going to tell people "why" shows are written, take the
time to call the producers and find out. the number is (323) 956-xxxx.

thanks

dan o'shannon

[Phone number has been edited]

Stuart
--------
Frasier Online Webmaster

Stu
Site Admin

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:37 pm

^ Hmmm. Reading it, I couldn't tell whether it's genuine or not. The spelling is all correct, but the thing that niggles my mind is the fact that he doesn't use ANY capital letters at all at the beginning of sentences. Okay, I know from all the other message boards I frequent that quite a few people don't bother to use capitals, so it's quite possible that Dan O'Shannon wouldn't. Maybe it's just me being pedantic - I try to be a perfectionist when it comes to spelling and grammar; that's why it always irks me if I accidentally spell something wrong! [:]:-)[/:] But...I don't know...B.N., do you think it looks genuine?[:]?[/:]
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Ali 75 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:43 am

Hmm, this is very interesting. Did you try calling that number Stuart or was that just Dan/Whoever being sarcastic?

I actually wrote a ten line response to this, but as it's late and I may live to regret it I've wimped out.[:]:-p[/:] All I'll say is that when Joe Keenan posted here to clarify something (funnily enough it was in response to something that happened in one of those 'arc' episodes if memory serves) he did so in a polite and measured way that put us straight but also didn't offend - so much so that we bombarded him with love and admiration for the next few days! Somehow if this is Dan O'Shannon I can't really say I feel the same way after that response. That's all I'm going to say for now.

On to S10 then, I thought this was quite a big improvement on the previous two seasons, nowhere near as good as seasons 1-7 or S11, but at least there were a good few well written, funny episodes.

Favourite Episode: Liked 'The Ring Cycle', 'Enemy At The Gate' was fine on first viewing, but is not a good re-watch, 'Tales Of The Crypt' was enjoyable, and 'Star Mitzvzah' was hysterical - Frasier reciting the Klingon speech had the entire cast struggling to compose themselves if you watch carefully. Liked 'Trophy Girlfriend' a lot. The three episode arc that we've just mentioned did smack of ratings desperation, it was shown during the sweeps too, I did enjoy it but it did feel contrived and rather 'soapy' - apologies to the writers but that's my opinion, sorry. 'Daphne Does Dinner' I liked a lot, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of love for it as compared to some of the other dull efforts we'd seen over the last few years I thought it was funny- but each to their own of course. 'Kenny On The Couch' was a good episode and I didn't mind 'Fraternal Schwinns' but I don't seem to love it as much as others. My favourite of the season, without a doubt though is 'Fathers and Sons' - Jocelyn said it all really, David Ogden Stiers was a wonderful guest star and the whole episode worked from start to finish, the 'Tit Willow' song and Martin's reaction to it was priceless[:]:-}[/:] This was the best episode since S7 IMO.

Least Favourite: Hated 'We Two Kings' the worst Christmas episode ever, why the hell was Dean Cain even there[:]?[/:] Thought 'Lilith Needs A Favour' was a bit lame for a Lilith episode, thankfully we had 'Star Mitzvah' to enjoy, 'Door Jam' was instantly forgettable - even more so for poor DHP one suspects -and 'Some Assembly Required' couldn't have been a more apt title, even better if they'd substituted 'Assembly' for 'major re-writing', 'Farewell Nervosa' was dismal, didn't like the Dr Phil episode either and 'Analysed Kiss' and 'A New Postition For Roz' were dreadful episodes to end the season with, Sam made a good point, imagine if Frasier had ended then[:]:-O[/:] - not even worth thinking about is it? Anyway, my least favourite of the season was ' Kissing Cousins' I disliked it at the time and I haven't changed my mind - I do wonder if there was some irony lost on me with this ep though - it was the most 'Friends' like episode of Frasier ever IMO and the 'cousin' was called 'Jen' - is it my imagination or????

Not a great season, but it was better than 8 and 9 thankfully
Ali 75

Postby Stu » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:48 am

Right I've done a Google search on the number that was in the e-mail, and I feel more confident that it's not someone's home number etc. It was :(323) 956-3100.

Now, if you go to http://www.wga.org/tvmarket/TVMarketList.html, and scroll down to the entry for 'Frasier', you will see the number given at the end is indeed the one given in the e-mail.

The mystery deepens......

Stuart
--------
Frasier Online Webmaster

Stu
Site Admin

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:39 pm

^ The mystery deepens indeed. Time to get our sleuthing caps on. Now the question is...does anyone dare to call the number?
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Jocelyn » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:49 pm

Thanks for sharing the email, Stuart. I'm sceptical about it being genuine for the same reasons BGF gives about the strange lack of capital letters. Also signing off with "thanks" seems a bit unprofessional for a letter to someone you've never previously written to. If it was Mr O'Shannon then I can't say I'm very impressed with the tone and brevity of the email (compare this with the generous length and spirit of Mr Keenan's posts and emails). Perhaps if Kelly from the transcript site still posted here he might be able to help authenticate it. Otherwise Dan (the other one!) may be able to shine some light on this mystery.
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

Jocelyn

Postby Ali 75 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:58 am

This is getting even more intriguing! I think it either was Mr O'Shannon, *or* it was someone who has been in contact with him at one time or other. When did you receive it Stuart? I had a slight hunch at first, but now I haven't a clue[:]?[/:]

That TV Markets listing is very helpful, how did you come by that?
Ali 75

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:18 am

Thanks for posting the e-mail Stu. I think it is genuine, mainly because the writer only intended it for an audience of one - namely Stuart. I can see someone wanting to impersonate Joe Keenan on the board because they knew it would get a big response, so those posts had more to be sceptical about than Stu's e-mail (even though I think the JK posts are genuine). As Stu said, why would anyone take the trouble to impersonate a man barely known outside Frasier circles, research the telephone number correctly and send a pretty snotty e-mail about a theory that most fans agree with anyway? The grammar doesn't really bother me in this case, the lack of capitals could simply be one of his writing idiosyncracies (many people do it, as BGF said). The tone of the mail was one of genuine irritation too (as though Stu had hit a nerve!). The first 'complementary' portion was there simply to add weight to his main gripe about Stu's alleged lack of research - he didn't want to appear unfair in his critisism so started off with a compliment.

Anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying I thought the e-mail was genuine. Apologies if I come across as an amateur criminologist [:]:-I[/:]

Ali, I can't believe you liked Trophy Girlfriend mate! You named 2 Salladin K Patterson eps in your 'best of' summation, are you feeling ok? [:]:-))[/:] I must admit Tales From The Crypt was certainly the most enjoyable of his six solo efforts for the show during his time on staff, but as Jocelyn pointed out, you can still pick holes in the writing. I thought Trophy Girlfriend was extemely poor. Those sight gags are 10 a penny on shows way below the calibre of Frasier. Hmm, you can replace 'those sight gags' for 'writers like Salladin K Patterson' in my previous sentence to find another true-ism.

An interesting debating point anyway, my friend! [:]:-)[/:] There have been some great comments from all concerned on this thread, maybe the season's a little fresher in people's minds? Good to have you back contributing Cakey! I know you'll be there for the S11 thread I'm starting soon.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Jem » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:45 am

I haven't seen every episode of Season 10 (have never seen 'Some Assemby' nor 'Kenny on the Couch' and those I have seen have been on the PC, not TV, but my overall impresssion is much more positive than the preceding two seasons.

Season 10 felt more purposeful, the actors more engaged (although there was more than usual hamminess from Kelsey and DHP in a couple of the eppies - 'Door Jam') - I felt as though things were back in control again. Seasons 8 & 9 were almost as if someone had taken their eyes off the road.

Like Season 9, it started well by trumping a so-so episode arc at the end of the previous season with one which took the characters' stories further along the road. Like Season 9, unfortunately, it also introduced a stupid plot twist towards the end which made me wonder if the writers of 'Friends' has accidentally wandered into the writers' room.

Worst - 'Door Jam' veered between slack farce ramped up by Kelsey and DHP trying to outdo each other in the shameless overacting stakes and possibly the most mind-numbingly inane subplot every used in the show (the 'Rockford Files' !!). Awful, but not quite awful enough. 'Kissing Cousins' was dull and used Kenny in a laboured way (the character is not strong enough to carry an entire subplot), 'Farewell, Nervosa' - Elvis Costello making Bill Gates look like Denzil Washington in the acting stakes), 'We Two Kings' - another appalling Roz storyline about a bad date. While these were all poorly written, at least they had some engaging bits (I liked Niles' reaction to Roz's cousin; Frasier trying out new coffee haunts and some of the F-N interaction over the Chrissie decorations).

No worst would have to be 'A New Position for Roz' in which Roz's character is suddenly given a new personality and the awful Roz'n'Frasier sitting in the tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g plot rears its hideous head. The farewell scene at Roz's dinner is cringeworthy in its use of the minor characters (Gil, Bulldog and Noel given embarrasing lines to sprout); stupid N-D subplot involving Ma Moon. Thank God, someone came to their senses and wiped out this development immediately in Season 11

Best - I liked most of 'The Ring Cycle' except for Donny's intrusion, thought the heart surgery story arc totally misconceived but exceptionally well done, especially 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' which was very very funny. Liked 'Fraternal Schwinns' a lot and also 'The Harrassed' but the clear winner for me is 'Fathers and Sons'. This was classic Frasier - all the characters were well used, the subplots hung together and tied back at the end, we saw Roz and Martin interacting, Niles at the piano with Kelsey in fine voice, even Eddie scored some great air time. Very funny, very poignant, it told us more about Martin's character, fabulous guest star - the best episode of the show since the end of Season 7

Jem
Jem

Postby Stu » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:16 am

This is getting even more intriguing! I think it either was Mr O'Shannon, *or* it was someone who has been in contact with him at one time or other. When did you receive it Stuart? I had a slight hunch at first, but now I haven't a clue

That TV Markets listing is very helpful, how did you come by that?

I got the e-mail on the 20th May 2003, several weeks after the Niles heart surgery storyline aired in the UK.

As for the TV Markets listing, I just put the phone number from the e-mail into Google and that was the first result that came up.

Stuart
--------
Frasier Online Webmaster

Stu
Site Admin

Postby Ali 75 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:43 am

Thanks for that information Stuart. I'm now inclined to agree with B.N, the fact that he did contact Stuart privately and not post on the forum does make it a lot more likely. I'm not that impressed with his tone, but I suppose you only react like that when you care passionately about something so I'll give him a break.

B.N, I'll be honest, I've not watched S10 for ages and rather like the previous 2 seasons even the episode titles aren't that clear in my mind. I think 'Trophy Girlfriend' is the Bob Hoskins episode?? If so, I thought it was quite funny, not in comparison to earlier season funny but it wasn't the worst of the season from what I remember of it. 'Tales From The Crypt' I enjoyed and would certainly put it above the Dr Phil ep!

Still, having read your comments about 'Ham Radio' not even being in your top 24 episodes and 'Caught In The Act' being better than it - I'd say we're more than even buddy[:]:-}[/:]
Ali 75

Postby Jocelyn » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:53 pm

Ah well, we can't agree on everything! For example, BN's all-time favourite episode is 'Dial M For Martin'. Now, good as that episode is I'm not sure it would even make my Top 100 (which would largely consist of episodes from S1-5 plus a handful from S7 and 11). In fact I laughed more at BN's least favourite S5 episode 'Beware Of Greeks' (Quick! Somebody pass BN the smelling salts![:]:-}[/:]).

At least we agree on how embarrassing 'Trophy Girlfriend' was, BN. Can't believe people are being kinder to this one than 'Door Jam' (which at least had a few funny bits to redeem it - epecially the end where a mummy-like Niles ran towards camera with his edible-facial[:]:-))[/:]). 'Trophy Girlfriend' gets worse and worse as it goes on, hitting rock bottom with the toe-curling scene in Nervosa where Coach Fuller does a twirl, which is almost down there with Niles (at least I think that's who the character was supposed to be) shouting "Then spell his ass off" at the end of 'War Of The Turds'.

Actually I think I'll button my yap where Saladin K. Patterson is concerned as I'm starting to get visions of him sticking pins into a voodoo doll on which he's written my name. In crayon presumably.

Jocelyn

Postby Ali 75 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:39 am

Hmm, will have to re-watch TG, I do remember thinking it wasn't great at the time, but some of Bob Hoskins antics had me laughing, I definitely thought it was better than 'Farewell Nervosa' and 'Door Jam', the only interesting thing about DJ was wondering at which point of the episode DHP would have fallen off the gurney (sp?). S10 is a strange season I think, it's better than 8 and 9, and does have some good eps, but it's let down by some really awful ones. Even though we can't agree on which eps are worse than others, I think we all probably agree on the season overall - better than 8 and 9 , but not as good as 1-5, 6,7 and 11.
Ali 75

Postby Sam » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:48 pm

I would have to say I enjoyed S.8 more than S.10. Sorry Ali :-)

My order would go 8,10,9

I just despised the ending of S.10, that is why I rank it so low. I'd have been happier watching W&G at that point, and that's saying something.
Sam

Postby Ali 75 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:35 am

No need to apologise Sam, although I have to be honest , I thought the last 2 episodes of S8, 'A Day In May ' and 'Cranes Go Caribbean' were truly awful, S9 of the three probably had the best final eps.
Ali 75

Postby Jocelyn » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:54 pm

The strange thing about 'Cranes Go Caribbean' is that I remember finding it really dull when it first aired but then I saw it again last year and was surprised how much I enjoyed it (although the Lilith ending is still a damp squib). I forgot to mention 'Moons Over Seattle' in the S9 thread, that was certainly one of the better episodes that season, mostly due to Brian Cox's fine performance (pity we didn't see him again in S10). S10 had the worst finale despite containing far more episodes I enjoyed than 8 and 9.

Jocelyn

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:19 am

Ali, I didn't mean to rate "Caught in the Act" and "Roz's Turn" above "Ham Radio" on CFB's best writer thread. I only meant that in general Joe Keenan wrote much better eps than David Lloyd, who's record I think is rather patchy. Yes, he wrote "Ham Radio", but he also wrote "Forgotten But Not Gone" from season 8. I have a lot of respect for him (after all, 8 seasons as a writer on Frasier is quite something to have on your CV), but he's nowhere near JK's consistency level.

I know I'm in the minority on "Ham Radio". I do think it's a classic, and while it may not make my top 24 it would certainly make my top 50. I know Stuart and BA at least agree with me on this (having read Sally B's Ultimate Season thread and reading Stu's 85% review)

Jocelyn, the only reason I chose BOG [:]:-))[/:] as my worst ep for S5 is due to the horrible piece of continuity when Martin's brother appears. I also found Zora quite an annoying character, but to be honest the first 5 seasons didn't contain any episodes I hated, certainly not compared to seasons 8/9/10 anyway. I also chose an ok ep from season 3 (Sleeping With The Enemy) as my worst choice for a horribly 'out of character' moment rather than because the ep was so terrible.

As for "Dial M For Martin", I know from reading Sally B's thread (plus Stuart's review) that I may be the only Frasier fan who rates this episode as their favourite. Incidentally, I think the best written and structured episode is "The Ski Lodge" (just to put my critic's hat on), but Dial M... is the one I enjoy the most. As Daphne once said, "I don't know why...."

Just had to clear things up. I can't have you laughing at me! [:]:-))[/:]
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Sam » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:34 pm

I think Beware Of The Greeks is a love/hate kind of episode. I, for one, love this episode, but I know others who hate it. I thought the guest characters were hilarious, especially the old mother. Also, Niles's horrified reactions to the big breasted woman was brilliant :-)
Sam

Next

Return to Frasier Discussion