Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

John Mahoney in Cheers

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

John Mahoney in Cheers

Postby JamesB » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:29 pm

Paramount Comedy Channel have just screened an episode of Cheers where John plays the jingle-maker Si. It's the first time I've seen the ep and LORDY is his jacket loud! I hadn't realised that the DNA of Frasier was so complete before it was born!

I really laughed at his reaction on learning that Cheers is spelt with two "ee's"

fave line: "I'll be home all night... the payphone is just down the hall!"
JamesB

Re: John Mahoney in Cheers

Postby karyn » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:11 pm

And Peri Gilpin appeared once in Cheers as well...just received some info. that John Mahoney is rumored to possibly be returning to US TV on a new Law and Order spinoff this fall...I'm sure there will be a number of rumors as regards the cast members, so I guess we should take it for what it's worth. But it would be great to see him back on TV in a dramatic role. Has anyone seen the Cher movie from 12-14 years ago or so where JM played a corrupt judge...??
karyn

Postby Bad Ambassador » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:36 pm

I thought I'd heard John Mahoney say he'll never do another longterm TV series ever again. Maybe he'll just be guest starring? Or maybe he changed his mind!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby karyn » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:50 pm

I saw a note on the E! Entertainment website that John Mahoney and Candice Bergen (Murphy Brown) are strongly rumored to be in the mix for roles in the fourth Law and Order spinoff, "Trial by Jury"...so either someone is stretching the truth a bit or there may be some validity to this rumor. I doubt it would just be as a guest star...seems like a regular role.
karyn

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:54 pm

Ooh. Imagine John Mahoney as a judge, or something. I wonder if he'll have his trusty chair in court?

I still remember him saying a few weeks ago that he wanted to move away from television - so this'll be an intriguing one to follow! Maybe they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Ali 75 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:19 pm

I think this is what you read Karyn:

ON THE BEAT: Variety reporting that Candice Bergen and John Mahoney are in talks to star in Law & Order: Trial by Jury, bowing early next year on NBC. Law & Order vet Carey Lowell is in talks to reprise her role as Jamie Ross on the spinoff.

I must say I'm very surprised if this is true. JM said that he would leave Frasier after S11 even if it continued because he missed Chicago, I'd assume this would be filmed in L.A too though.
Ali 75

Postby Rover » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:29 am

I thought all the "Law and Order"s were filmed in NYC. I guess New York is closer to Chicago, so maybe that was a factor (and I bet they offered him a pretty penny - although Dick Wolff is notorious for being cheap!)

-Val
"Welcome to purgatory."
Archie Kennedy (The Even Chance)
Rover

Postby Paul » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:50 pm

I see John is getting rave reviews in Chicago. Here's an article from today's Guardian about the burgeoning local theatre scene

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features ... 82,00.html
Paul

Postby Ali 75 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:08 pm

I read that in The Guardian today, John would be thrilled to hear those comments I'm sure.
Ali 75

Postby Eddie Thomas » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:54 pm

John Mahoney was born in Blackpool. And the guy who played the character of 'Cliffy, the mailman' in Cheers, spent almost 11 years here in Coronation Street before moving back home to the States and wangling the part in Cheers.
Eddie Thomas

Postby Jocelyn » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:01 pm

Not sure if you're getting confused with someone else but I think it's fair to say that John Ratzenberger (Cliff) was never in Coronation Street. Would have been funny though!
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Sally_B » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:43 pm

I was going to say, John Ratzenberger in Corrie?
Sally_B

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:16 pm

I think we can definitively say John Ratzenberger has NOT in been Corrie, certainly not for 11 years.

John has some notable movie credits though; 'Superman' 'The Empire Strikes Back' and voice roles in both the Toy Story films, Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo, presumably quite a handy little earner.

Nice one Cliffie!
Paul

Postby Sunshine Superman » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:28 pm

John Ratzeberger was in the final episode of BBC1's SECRET ARMY around 1980, as an American, one of the soldiers liberating Belgium. SECRET ARMY (these days only remembered because of the spoof version, 'Allo Allo'), was about the underground resistance to Nazi rule of Belgium, based in a cafe, later expanded to a restaurant, the Cafe Candide... it was followed by a contemporary series KESSLER which showed the 'Secret Army' villain, Gestapo officer Ludwig Kessler, alive in the 80s and attempting to recreate the Third Reich...

[sorry folks, end of history lesson]

SS (Den)
'Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds' Emerson
Sunshine Superman

Return to Frasier Discussion