Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What did Niles and Daphne name their baby?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

What did Niles and Daphne name their baby?

Postby Trixxie » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:12 pm

Sorry, post title speaks for itself. I was always curious as to what the baby was named. Am i right in thinking he was called David? :oops:
Niles: I specifically asked for just a whisper of cinnamon and he's given me a full throated shout! There are countries in the world that would chop off his sprinkling hand!
Frasier: You know, I'd forgotten what a strange little person you are.
Trixxie

Re: What did Niles and Daphne name their baby?

Postby DHP » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:22 pm

Trixxie wrote:Sorry, post title speaks for itself. I was always curious as to what the baby was named. Am i right in thinking he was called David? :oops:

Not seen the final season(s) myself, but I hear that's the name they gave their baby. You can probably find out for sure from an episode synopsis on this or another site.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:23 pm

Yes, they did name him David. I think they said it was a tribtute to David Angell.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Frasier Crane » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:24 pm

The Babys name is David, we first hear the babys name in Goodight Seattle.
So it wouldnt matter if it was called the Eddie Eddieman foundation as long as there was fancy food on silver platters!
Frasier Crane

Postby Frasier » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:30 pm

Frasier Crane wrote:The Babys name is David, we first hear the babys name in Goodight Seattle.

Absoloutely right:

Niles enters with Baby Crane in his arms.

Roz: Awww, there he is.

Daphne takes him.

Niles: Hello, Roz.

Daphne sits with him on the couch.

Martin: [tickles him] Hey, David, remember me? I’m your grandpa.
Ronee: [tickles him] Yes, and I’m your... Sorry, I just, I can’t
say it yet.

[N.B. In memory of David Angell.]
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:32 pm

Was there anyone who liked Roz's suggestion of Ichabod?

She wrote it on the papers that would have got Niles and Daphne's future child into a good kindergarten, if I recall.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:41 pm

My mum wanted to call me Ichabod. Not sure how well that would have worked growing up in the 80s and early 90s, but now that people are shifting more towards a liberal way of thinking (in some ways at least) and names are becoming a bit less conventional, maybe I could live with it.
DHP

Postby Frasier » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:45 pm

Ichabod Crane?

hmmmm.

I think it just doesnt resonate with the Crane Family. :?
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:27 am

DHP wrote:My mum wanted to call me Ichabod. Not sure how well that would have worked growing up in the 80s and early 90s, but now that people are shifting more towards a liberal way of thinking (in some ways at least) and names are becoming a bit less conventional, maybe I could live with it.

That's cool! Did your Dad override here, then?

I've always thought the Phoenix family had lovely names - there was River Phoenix, of course, then there's his brother Joaquin Phoenix, and their sisters, Summer, Liberty and Rain.

They're not conventional names, but I don't think they're stupid ones either. I especially like River and Joaquin. One of the twins I knew at school said that if she ever had kids, she liked the names River and Rain. I wonder if she knew of River Phoenix? She and her sister were film buffs, so it's quite possible that they've seen his films and liked them.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Amber » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:00 am

It's one of the producers/creators/directors of Friends named David Crane? I remember seeing that name on the closing sequence once.
Huge Frasier/Beatles fan ^_^

Martin: Daphne, I just thought of something funny - it took 3 Cranes to lift you!
Hungry Heart - After Daphne is helped up by Niles, Frasier and Martin.
Amber

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:24 pm

Amber wrote:It's one of the producers/creators/directors of Friends named David Crane?

Yes, there is. I've seen that name numerous times myself.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:24 pm

Yeah there was a David Crane who was one of the creators of friends. I remember hearing rumours and speculation that the name was chosen as a sort of "middle finger" to Friends but I don't think any of Frasiers producers or script writers have ever confirmed whether the name clash was intentional.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:26 pm

When Joe Keenan came here, I think he said himself that the name was intended as a tribute to David Angell, and not a reference to Friends.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:34 pm

Davey Boy wrote:Yeah there was a David Crane who was one of the creators of friends. I remember hearing rumours and speculation that the name was chosen as a sort of "middle finger" to Friends but I don't think any of Frasiers producers or script writers have ever confirmed whether the name clash was intentional.

I hope there wasn't an intended middle finger, as that'd be really childish and pathetic and not something I'd associate with such a well-made show. And given that Friends was significantly more popular and loved than Frasier, it would be kind of like a geeky university student going up to Daniel Craig and telling him he hits like a girl in his new film.
DHP

Postby Davey Boy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:18 pm

As I say I don't think it was ever confirmed by anyone from Frasier but there was certainly speculation that there could have been a link.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:20 pm

DHP wrote:I hope there wasn't an intended middle finger, as that'd be really childish and pathetic and not something I'd associate with such a well-made show. And given that Friends was significantly more popular and loved than Frasier, it would be kind of like a geeky university student going up to Daniel Craig and telling him he hits like a girl in his new film.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't intended as anything like that. The people who speculated that it might have been might just have been being cynical?

I'm sure when Joe Keenan came here, he said that the name was merely intended as a tribute to David Angell, and that Friends had nothing to do with it.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:44 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
DHP wrote:I hope there wasn't an intended middle finger, as that'd be really childish and pathetic and not something I'd associate with such a well-made show. And given that Friends was significantly more popular and loved than Frasier, it would be kind of like a geeky university student going up to Daniel Craig and telling him he hits like a girl in his new film.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't intended as anything like that. The people who speculated that it might have been might just have been being cynical?

I'm sure when Joe Keenan came here, he said that the name was merely intended as a tribute to David Angell, and that Friends had nothing to do with it.

Thanks for that BGF. I much prefer to think of it as a tribute than an insult. It wouldn't spoil watching Frasier for me, but if and when season 11 sees the light of day over here, it'd be a bad taste in my mouth when I got to the episode with the baby in.
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:49 pm

I suppose no one can be 100% certain, but I'm convinced that it wasn't a dig at Friends, as I think they're above that. I agree that if it had been, then it'd be a bit cheap and rude, but as I said, I'm convinced that it wasn't anything of the sort.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Amber » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:31 pm

I didn't beleive there was any link, I just thought it seemed like a strange coinsidence. After all Frasier's (and therefore Niles') last name was defined as Crane in Cheers long before anyone even thought about making friends. And David was obviously a refrance to David Angell, even if it wasn't, David is a very common name (for example it also coinsidently tied in with DHP name, who was the "father" of the child) I never beleive there was any deliberate link, just pointing out a mere coinsidence.
Huge Frasier/Beatles fan ^_^

Martin: Daphne, I just thought of something funny - it took 3 Cranes to lift you!
Hungry Heart - After Daphne is helped up by Niles, Frasier and Martin.
Amber

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:15 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:I'm sure when Joe Keenan came here, he said that the name was merely intended as a tribute to David Angell, and that Friends had nothing to do with it.

This is what JK actually said:-

Joe Keenan wrote:Making the child a boy also allowed us a final opportunity to pay tribute to David Angell. I could not disagree more heartily with the poster who saw no need for us to do so in the final episode of the series he co-created. (Though it is an irony I’m amazed no one over here has noted that calling the baby David gives Niles’ and Daphne’s son the same name as the creator of "Friends.")

It's a buzz to quote JK!! :lol:

Anyway, as you can see, JK saw the name David primarily as a tribute to the late Mr Angell; but he also saw the 'irony' of him having the same name as the creator of Friends.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Return to Frasier Discussion