Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Do you believe in God?

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Do you believe in God?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 19

Postby DHP » Fri May 18, 2007 12:06 am

Or to make it a bit more topical BGF, if it's found (and I certainly hope this won't be the case) that 3-year-old Madeleine McCann has been kidnapped, as the experts fear, for sexual reasons, and then murdered, is that right or wrong according to those books?

Bee Gees Fan wrote:The point He was making with that bit you quoted though, was that a person who is spiritually evolved, and who really knows God, would never kill anyone. He said that those are not the actions of spiritually evolved beings.

I at least agree with that much. In a post I made to MC earlier today, anyone who truly knows God and gets what he did for them wants to live for God, by doing what pleases God. It's not how we live that gets us into heaven though. How we live as Christians represents how we feel about God. Of course, I'm not sure how or why we should care about God if we choose to do whatever we want to live for ourselves, and ultimately we get into heaven anyway. In fact, why do we need a god if whatever we choose to do is up to us and ultimately he's not going to stop or punish us in any way, shape or form?
Last edited by DHP on Fri May 18, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri May 18, 2007 12:08 am

DHP wrote:Or to make it a bit more topical BGF, if it's found (and I certainly hope this won't be the case) that 3-year-old Madeleine McCann has been kidnapped, as the experts fear, for sexual reasons, and then murdered, is that right or wrong according to those books?

Did you miss my last post? I think that would answer it.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby me123 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:09 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:Well, God says that there is no particular "right" or "wrong." In a quote from the second book, He says, I have said over and over again that there is no "right" or "wrong" in the universe. A thing is not intrinsically right or wrong. A thing simply is.

So there's no morality? And thus all of Paul's questions are unable to be answered?
me123

Postby DHP » Fri May 18, 2007 12:13 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
DHP wrote:Or to make it a bit more topical BGF, if it's found (and I certainly hope this won't be the case) that 3-year-old Madeleine McCann has been kidnapped, as the experts fear, for sexual reasons, and then murdered, is that right or wrong according to those books?

Did you miss my last post? I think that would answer it.

I did miss it. Seems to say that whatever happens to that little girl is fine according to the god of those books, because it's what those people decide to do to her. What about her parents and what they decide? What about her and what she decides? BGF, I know these books mean a lot to you, but it sounds to me like they simply aren't grounded in the reality of this planet, and as I said before, I find the implications they have that people can do whatever they want with no sense of accountability absolutely sickening. For me, they've failed in the light of this first, very real scenario.
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri May 18, 2007 12:21 am

DHP wrote:I did miss it. Seems to say that whatever happens to that little girl is fine according to the god of those books, because it's what those people decide to do to her.

That's really not what God was saying. He doesn't think it's fine to kill people.

In another quote, from the first book, He says:

You have a right under highest moral law - indeed, you have an obligation under that law - to stop aggression on the person of another, or yourself.

That does not mean that killing as a punishment is a appropriate, nor as restribution, nor as a means of settling petty differences.

In your past, you have killed in personal duels over the affection of a woman, for heaven's sake, and called this protecting your honor, when it was all honor you were losing. It is absurd to use deadly force as an argument solver. Many humans are still using force - killing force - to solve ridiculous arguments even today.

Reaching to the height of hypocrisy, some humans even kill in the name of God - and that is the highest blasphemy, for it does not speak of Who You Are.

A few pages on, he does repeat, after discussing the situations in which people kill - i.e. to solve problems, or a person killing someone who is trying to kill them, or killing someone to defend someone else, or killing someone who would murder others unless they were stopped:

There is no "right" or "wrong" in these matters.

But by your decisions you paint a portrait of Who You Are

God is not saying that He thinks it's okay to kill people. He would not be fine with whatever has happened to Madeleine.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Fri May 18, 2007 12:24 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:God is not saying that He thinks it's okay to kill people. He would not be fine with whatever has happened to Madeleine.

Is it right or wrong? It seems all the country can answer that question without a moment's hesitation and in one word at the moment apart from you BGF. Things are either right or they're wrong. If your god isn't ok with it and if your god is perfect, what does that say about this situation?

Anyhoo, I'm calling it a day now I'm afraid. Thanks MC and BGF for the stimulating discussion as always. Sorry, but I'm gonna have to do one of my disappearing acts for a few days as I really need to focus right now. Got an absolute beast of an exam on monday, and the first one is tomorrow (friday), so off I go!
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri May 18, 2007 12:29 am

DHP wrote:Is it right or wrong? It seems all the country can answer that question without a moment's hesitation and in one word at the moment apart from you BGF. Things are either right or they're wrong. If your god isn't ok with it and if your god is perfect, what does that say about this situation?

I didn't know you were asking for my personal view. I personally think it's wrong.

Also, I'd like to point out that this God isn't MY God. He's everyone's God. He's not a God I've created.

I know God wouldn't be okay with what has happened, as he's stated many times that this kind of thing isn't appropriate, but He does say there is no right or wrong. But, althoguh He says that, he still wouldn't think what has happened to that girl is fine.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Fri May 18, 2007 12:44 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
DHP wrote:Is it right or wrong? It seems all the country can answer that question without a moment's hesitation and in one word at the moment apart from you BGF. Things are either right or they're wrong. If your god isn't ok with it and if your god is perfect, what does that say about this situation?

I didn't know you were asking for my personal view. I personally think it's wrong.

Also, I'd like to point out that this God isn't MY God. He's everyone's God. He's not a God I've created.

I know God wouldn't be okay with what has happened, as he's stated many times that this kind of thing isn't appropriate, but He does say there is no right or wrong. But, althoguh He says that, he still wouldn't think what has happened to that girl is fine.

Sorry, am back, couldn't resist seeing BGF's response I'm afraid...

BGF, this isn't the god I know. You can say he's everyone's god, but he's not mine. God, as I know him through the Bible, has an answer that fits your take on the current situation - it's wrong. Not only that, but that wrong must be punished. Not only that, but that people who do wrong won't get into heaven. However, he's a God who loves us, and not because we deserve it. He loves us in spite of the fact that we so often choose to go our own way which is so often harmful to ourselves and/or to others, so much that he gave up (yes Rob, I know you disagree here) everything to take the punishment that everyone who has done wrong deserves, so that if we truly trust in him and turn from what is wrong, and accept him into our lives, then we can know peace with him and the promise of eternity in heaven.

That's a message that calls the situation on Earth what it is - a mess. But it is also a message of hope for the present and a message of a God who is very interested in our lives and wants to guide us down the right path here and now and help us through everything that each day brings, as well as a message of hope for the past, of all those things that we shudder at the thought of being completely forgiven, the consequences having been dealt with, and a message of hope for the future, of eternity in heaven.

But BGF, I do not for a second agree with anything that teaches there is no right and wrong in this world, when there is ample evidence to the contrary. That's one of the many reasons why I trust the Bible, and why I have reservations about looking at these other books. I hope to read them at some point, but I believe God is perfect and I can't accept less. If he's wrong on one issue, saying there's no such thing as right and wrong when he created us with a huge awareness and comprehension of right and wrong, then he isn't who he claims to be. Having one error in those books for me undermines the integrity of them as a whole. I'm happy to take a look at them some time and you've certainly got me interested in them, but I don't believe them at all to be the Word of God based on the fact that I know that in part they are inconsistent with the facts of life.
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri May 18, 2007 1:30 am

DHP wrote:I believe God is perfect and I can't accept less.

Well, God as He comes across in the CWG books is perfect too. Although, I imagine in your mind, it doesn't seem like He is?

DHP wrote:I don't believe them at all to be the Word of God based on the fact that I know that in part they are inconsistent with the facts of life.

When you say "facts of life", what are you referring to? People's concepts of "right" and "wrong" and people's beliefs and judgements? Are these actually facts, or are they our own ideas that we've formed? I've never really been clear on that.

I do find some things in the CWG books hard to understand. And even though God says there is no right or wrong, I do think of many horrible, tragic incidents as being wrong and unfair myself.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 18, 2007 11:37 am

Interesting debate between the pair fo you. I can see the point BGF is making, without trying to force emotive black and white answers. Right and wrong is a human emotion, as scary as that may seem. Of course we would all feel it is wrong for anything to happen to the little girl, but it is not so far back in history that various seemingly abbhorent events were seen as ok, by the majority, while still to this day there are trivial things which receive heavy penalty.

It is one area that i have read around where we are all part of the ultimate whole, experiencing every possible experience. That we all do whatever, whether it's seen as right or wrong in our own terms, simply for the whole to have complete understanding of everything there could be? If that makes sense. :lol:

Just because it doesn't sit comfortably with your beliefs DHP, doesn't make it wrong i'm afraid. it may be a scary prospect, based on the conceptions of our current state in human terms, but it's not inconceivable.

The 'free will' card is always a cop out term for me - and is used to justify any corner of an argument, and saves the day whether you argue how god is all perfect, or why people have learned to do certain things, or whatever.

BGF, this isn't the god I know. You can say he's everyone's god, but he's not mine.

I hope this part of your quote actually makes you understand where myself, and probably others, come from in terms of your own belief in god?

BGF, I know these books mean a lot to you, but it sounds to me like they simply aren't grounded in the reality of this planet, and as I said before, I find the implications they have that people can do whatever they want with no sense of accountability absolutely sickening. For me, they've failed in the light of this first, very real scenario.

They shouldn't really be grounded in Human ideas, to be fair. Seeing as God has given us this 'free will' and we've sinned ever since, then we must have veered a number of degrees from what God believes is right and just? We've developed our own rules and laws, for better and worse.

The Bible talks in such human terms that it's one of the reasons i struggle to hear it as a word from an entity that's above simple human thinking.

To talk of it in personal human terms. If i was god i'd probably not be sending so called sinners to hell, as it seems like the human form of locking people up without trying to understand why something happened, just that it did happen. Rather i'd be offering the chance to try and make amends - whether that would be letting them live another life on Earth, or sending them to try in another dimension, whatever, I'm sure you're 'unlocked' to learn greater understanding in any possible 'afterlife'. Any god that doesn't think that it would be worth offering more 'chances' is no god of mine.

Also, i'd be showing any non-believers around the place to prove that it was actually 'real' - but i'd not be bothered that they hadn't believed, because i'd understood that all the religions bickering on Earth would have put them off.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri May 18, 2007 12:42 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Interesting debate between the pair fo you. I can see the point BGF is making

Well, I wouldn't call it the point that I'm making, because I do see many things as wrong myself. I see death as wrong and unfair. I see murder as wrong. I think it's wrong that my sister's friend died. It's more the point that's made in the books, that I'm trying to explain.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Sat May 19, 2007 6:21 pm

I get where you're both coming from and I'm not two-faced enough not to be able to look at myself and understand why people have issues with Bible-based Christianity.

There is evidence which shows that children brought up with no input from society or from anywhere else have an automatic, in-built response of right and wrong, and a sense of guilt. Common knowledge refers to that as a conscience, and the leading theistic and atheistic minds in the world acknowledge this, including Ken Ham (theistic) and Richard Dawkins (hugely atheistic). If you believe in a god who created everything, you have to believe he created that. Why would he create something and then say it didn't exist? That's my main issue here.
DHP

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat May 19, 2007 6:35 pm

DHP wrote:I get where you're both coming from and I'm not two-faced enough not to be able to look at myself and understand why people have issues with Bible-based Christianity.

There is evidence which shows that children brought up with no input from society or from anywhere else have an automatic, in-built response of right and wrong, and a sense of guilt. Common knowledge refers to that as a conscience, and the leading theistic and atheistic minds in the world acknowledge this, including Ken Ham (theistic) and Richard Dawkins (hugely atheistic). If you believe in a god who created everything, you have to believe he created that. Why would he create something and then say it didn't exist? That's my main issue here.

That's a fair enough. I'd have no problem with the right and wrong thing. I don't think anyone is interpreting it as not acknowledging an existence of right and wrong, but maybe that our interpretation of why there is right and wrong or how to deal with the consequences of right and wrong may not be as simple as we wish it. I think it would scare a lot of people to not be able to hold on to a belief that some higher power would deal with people doing something that they don't particularly like. I'd still believe any god would handle the situation differently to what we can understand.

There's also evidence of children growing up without any human interaction at all - and they have developed animal instincts of the creatures they've grown up with, so it's a tricky old subject with a lot to understand.

Unfortunately there are a number of people who proclaim to know the answers, whereas I feel we're fortunate enough, here, to realise that we probably don't - even if we veer towards certain beliefs.

Hope the work's going ok anyway mate.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby me123 » Sat May 19, 2007 6:49 pm

DHP wrote:I get where you're both coming from and I'm not two-faced enough not to be able to look at myself and understand why people have issues with Bible-based Christianity.

Lord of the Flies shows that without boundaries, they thrive in a rule free environment, but retain guilt:

"Roger's arm was conditioned by a society that knew nothing of him and was in ruins".
me123

Postby DHP » Sat May 19, 2007 6:52 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:That's a fair enough. I'd have no problem with the right and wrong thing. I don't think anyone is interpreting it as not acknowledging an existence of right and wrong, but maybe that our interpretation of why there is right and wrong or how to deal with the consequences of right and wrong may not be as simple as we wish it. I think it would scare a lot of people to not be able to hold on to a belief that some higher power would deal with people doing something that they don't particularly like. I'd still believe any god would handle the situation differently to what we can understand.

Absolutely, and as none of us can grasp what heaven or hell are like, I'd say the Bible certainly agrees with you there.

Moon-Crane wrote:Hope the work's going ok anyway mate.

Fine thanks. Had the first exam yesterday. Next one on monday. Will be sooooooooooo glad when they're over and I'm free from full-time education. :D
DHP

Postby Rodge » Sat May 19, 2007 6:56 pm

DHP - FRIDAY 12:24AM wrote:Anyhoo, I'm calling it a day now I'm afraid. Thanks MC and BGF for the stimulating discussion as always. Sorry, but I'm gonna have to do one of my disappearing acts for a few days as I really need to focus right now. Got an absolute beast of an exam on monday, and the first one is tomorrow (friday), so off I go!

Hey, Get back to your studying young man :lol:
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby DHP » Sat May 19, 2007 6:57 pm

Rob wrote:
DHP - FRIDAY 12:24AM wrote:Anyhoo, I'm calling it a day now I'm afraid. Thanks MC and BGF for the stimulating discussion as always. Sorry, but I'm gonna have to do one of my disappearing acts for a few days as I really need to focus right now. Got an absolute beast of an exam on monday, and the first one is tomorrow (friday), so off I go!

Ah, yes mother. Will be back sometime next week. :D
DHP

Postby Rodge » Sat May 19, 2007 7:01 pm

DHP wrote:
Rob wrote:

:lol:

I have to say, yes school and college are the best times of life, but revision is sooo dull! :(
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby me123 » Sat May 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Rob wrote:
DHP wrote:
Rob wrote:

:lol:

I have to say, yes school and college are the best times of life, but revision is sooo dull! :(

I second that motion! It'll be over for me a week on Wednesday.
me123

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun May 20, 2007 2:16 am

Here's a part, in the first book, where God talks about "Hell" and how it doesn't exist as a place.

Author: What is hell?

God: It is the experience of the worst possible outcome of your choices, decisions and creations. It is the natural conssequence of any thought which denies Me, or says no to Who You Are in relation to Me.

It is the pain you suffer through wrong thinking. Yet even the term "wrong thinking" is a misnomer, because there is no such thing as that which is wrong.

Hell is the opposite of joy. It is unfulfillment. It is knowing Who and What You Are, and failing to experience that. It is being less. That is hell, and there is none greater for your soul.

But hell does not exist as this place you have fantasized, whereyou burn in some everlasting fire, or exist in some state of everlasting torment. What purpose could I have in that?

Even if I did hold the extraordinarily unGodly thought that you did not "deserve" heaven, why would I have a need to seek some kind of revenge, or punishment, for your failing? Wouldn't it be a simple matter for Me to just dispose of you? What vengeful part of Me would require that I subject you to eternal suffering of a type and at a level beyond description?

If you answer, the need for justice, would not a simple denial of communion with Me in heaven serve the ends of justice? Is the unending infliction of pain also required?

I tell you there is no such experience after death as you have constructed in your fear-based theologies. Yet there is an experience of the soul so unhappy, so incomplete, so less than whole, so separated from God's greatest joy, that to your soul this would be hell. But I tell you I do not send you there, nor do I cause this experience to be visited upon you. You, yourself, create the experience, whenever and however you separate yourself from your own highest thought about You. You, yourself, create the experience, whenever you deny your Self; whenever you reject Who and What You Really Are.

Yet even this experience is never eternal. It cannot be, for it is not my plan that you should be separated from Me forever and ever. Indeed, such a thing is an impossibility - for to achieve such an event, not only would you have to deny Who You Are - I would have to as well. This I will never do. And as long as one of us holds the truth about you, the truth about you shall ultimately prevail.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Sun May 20, 2007 11:35 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:Yet even this experience is never eternal. It cannot be, for it is not my plan that you should be separated from Me forever and ever. Indeed, such a thing is an impossibility - for to achieve such an event, not only would you have to deny Who You Are - I would have to as well. This I will never do. And as long as one of us holds the truth about you, the truth about you shall ultimately prevail.[/b]

How can a perfect God be in the presence of anything that is imperfect and retain perfection? How can anything imperfect be in a place that is perfect and the place still be perfect? The imperfection needs to be removed, which is what Christians believe Jesus' death on the cross accomplished.

God has to have a sense of justice, as he gave us one. Again, I don't believe God would create a conscience and then say there is no such thing as right and wrong, nor create a need for justice (justice IS NOT vengeance - a god would know that!!!) and then say justice is unnecessary and doesn't exist.
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun May 20, 2007 11:43 pm

DHP wrote:How can a perfect God be in the presence of anything that is imperfect and retain perfection? How can anything imperfect be in a place that is perfect and the place still be perfect? The imperfection needs to be removed, which is what Christians believe Jesus' death on the cross accomplished.

Could you explain how this relates to the above quote? I don't think God was saying that He was in the presence of anything imperfect.

And even so, I don't think God's own imperfection could be removed just because He was around something/someone that wasn't perfect.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Sun May 20, 2007 11:50 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
DHP wrote:How can a perfect God be in the presence of anything that is imperfect and retain perfection? How can anything imperfect be in a place that is perfect and the place still be perfect? The imperfection needs to be removed, which is what Christians believe Jesus' death on the cross accomplished.

Could you explain how this relates to the above quote? I don't think God was saying that He was in the presence of anything imperfect.

And even so, I don't think God's own imperfection could be removed just because He was around something/someone that wasn't perfect.

Sorry BGF, I was referring to that part of the quote about people being in heaven and God wanting to be with them all the time no matter what. I agree with that desire on God's part, but there's a practical obstacle in the way which is what Jesus came to remove.

People are imperfect, as we can see in this forum every day. :lol: More seriously, we see it on the news every day, and in our own lives. If we went to a perfect place, by definition that place would cease to be perfect. You're saying God will let anyone into heaven. Would it be heaven if God let everyone in as they are? Would God be perfect if he didn't mind chumming up with the paedos, thieves, rapists and murderers? It's their imperfection (or sin, as the Bible calls it) that needs to be removed, because as I pointed out in my earlier post, God created us with a sense of justice (again, NOT to be confused with vengeance as the author of your books did) and a conscience because God understood better than anyone the need for those things, because God has a perfect sense of justice and a perfect sense of right and wrong. Again, don't confuse justice with vengeance. The two are very different things!

Would God be God if he created us with those things and then said they didn't exist? No.
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon May 21, 2007 12:04 am

DHP wrote:I pointed out in my earlier post, God created us with a sense of justice (again, NOT to be confused with vengeance as the author of your books did)

Well, that part wasn't what the author said, it was what God said. So you mean you think God got it confused? Or do you not believe that the dialogue in these books comes from God?

DHP wrote:People are imperfect, as we can see in this forum every day. More seriously, we see it on the news every day, and in our own lives. If we went to a perfect place, by definition that place would cease to be perfect. You're saying God will let anyone into heaven. Would it be heaven if God let everyone in as they are? Would God be perfect if he didn't mind chumming up with the paedos, thieves, rapists and murderers?

Well, God says in the books that people create their own realities when they die. (Or, if they want, they can be re-incarnated, although it seems a lot of people wait a while before they return to Earth.

So, what I'm saying is, I believe people create their own realities when they die. So if they create a nice one, then they're in a nice reality.

Also, I believe that God believes that even though people may do things that are "unGodly", no one is inherently imperfect.

God says in the first book:

Yet if you knew Who You Are - that you are the most magnificent, the most remarkable, the most splendid being God has ever created - you would never fear. For who could reject such wondrous magnificence? Not even God could find fault in such a being.

What God was saying, is that, inherently people are perfect. Deep, deep inside murderers/rapists is some form of perfection. Their actions don't reflect who they truly are. They reflect who they are at that present time and in that present life, but underneath all of that, lies perfection.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Mon May 21, 2007 12:12 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
DHP wrote:I pointed out in my earlier post, God created us with a sense of justice (again, NOT to be confused with vengeance as the author of your books did)

Well, that part wasn't what the author said, it was what God said. So you mean you think God got it confused? Or do you not believe that the dialogue in these books comes from God?

Given that the text has contradicted itself and what we can see around us several times from the quotes you've provided, I don't believe it comes from a perfect god, no. If it does, it's a god who's very out of touch.

Bee Gees Fan wrote:What God was saying, is that, inherently people are perfect. Deep, deep inside murderers/rapists is some form of perfection. Their actions don't reflect who they truly are. They reflect who they are at that present time and in that present life, but underneath all of that, lies perfection.

BGF, there are things that don't mix. Cats and dogs don't breed and make cogs or dats, similarly charged objects repel each other, and perfect and imperfect don't go together. Something is either perfect or imperfect. It can't be both. And for the murderers and rapists, what if it's premeditated? What if they've planned it, discussed it, and done it several times? Their thoughts, words and deeds all came from somewhere, and it wasn't a perfect inner core.
DHP

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes