home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Scientists you admire

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Scientists you admire

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:26 pm

Some names of mine would include:

Albert Einstein
Robert Oppenheimer
Richard Feynman (an interesting person, although I'm disappointed that he was quite narrow-minded where the humanities' subjects were concerned.)
Nikola Tesla
Ronald Mallet
Michio Kaku
Hugh Everett
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Re: Scientists you admire

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Michael Faraday
Galileo Galilei
Edwin Hubble
Charles Darwin

Some modern ones are probably Richard Dawkins and Alexei Fillipenko. And, like you, i do enjoy listening to Michio Kaku.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:00 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Some modern ones are probably Richard Dawkins and Alexei Fillipenko. And, like you, i do enjoy listening to Michio Kaku.

I've never actually heard him speak (actually, that's a lie, I did catch a few seconds of him in a documentary once, but that's all) but I've read his book Parallel Worlds.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:07 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Some modern ones are probably Richard Dawkins and Alexei Fillipenko. And, like you, i do enjoy listening to Michio Kaku.

I've never actually heard him speak (actually, that's a lie, I did catch a few seconds of him in a documentary once, but that's all) but I've read his book Parallel Worlds.

He's done a shed load of stuff, and appears on loads of science shows from the last few years, so keep an eye out. He does video blogs on his site, too - i don't know if you already visit it? http://mkaku.org/home/

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 am

^ Thank you.

What I like about him is that he explores the ideas of the "out there" stuff, like time travel, parallel universes, etc, etc. And if the book Parallel Worlds is anything to go by, it seems that he believes in the possibility of it and that people may, in the future, be able to travel through time and enter alternate realities. Having only come across the idea of parallel worlds in spiritual and New Age texts, it was nice for me to come across a scientific text exploring the concept.

Also, one of the latest ideas of physics is that of string-theory, also known as m-theory, I believe? In which the basic idea is that everything is connected - which, as I said to a friend of mine who shares some of my interests, is what the spiritualists have been saying for years.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby barnaclelapse » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Those guys and Egon Spengler.
barnaclelapse

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:04 pm

I've been listening to the Aussie scientist Dr Karl Kruszelnicki on Radio5Live for the last couple of months, and he's a great listen. Mad as a box of monkeys at times, but he knows his stuff. Has a good knack of explaining things in interesting ways.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Return to Off Topic Discussion