Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Sleepless in Seattle parallels

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Sleepless in Seattle parallels

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Last night I watched the film Sleepless in Seattle for the first time in a while and enjoyed seeing some parallels to Frasier! To start, Niles, Kenny, and Mia are all there; David Hyde Pierce's character is even a psychologist. The story starts with a boy calling a Seattle-based radio psychologist for advice with his dad, which ultimately brings two people together in love.

It's kind of funny because the film was released in June of 1993 and the first Frasier episode premiered in September 1993. I wonder if the movie had any influence on the show. I know Niles' character was a later addition after realizing DHP looked like KG's brother, so it's possible! If anyone has any knowledge on the matter, feel free to share! Otherwise, I just wanted to share :)
frasier floyd

Re: Sleepless in Seattle parallels

Postby Patrick » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 pm

In Second season's "Duke's, We Hardly Knew Ye", one of the title cards reads "SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE
(you knew we had to do it eventually)", although I never saw the movie myself and had no idea that there were so many similarities.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:28 pm

I've always seen that title card as a reference to Seattle rather than any parallels between the show and the movie. The movie's a sweet romance though, I'd recommend it.
frasier floyd

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:53 pm

I just realized there was a similar post to mine back in 2004. According to someone in the old thread, there were 7 Frasier characters in this movie.

For anyone interested:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=441
frasier floyd

Postby Patrick » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:12 pm

frasier floyd wrote:I've always seen that title card as a reference to Seattle rather than any parallels between the show and the movie. The movie's a sweet romance though, I'd recommend it.

Oh come on! You don't see a parallel between the card ""SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (you knew we had to do it eventually)" and the movie?

Are you kidding me? Why would they have added "you knew we had to do it eventually", then? What could that possibly mean then?

Of course it's a reference to the movie, it can be nothing else! :roll:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Sorry, I think you misunderstand some of my posts Patrick. Of course I think of the Sleepless in Seattle movie when I see that title card. What I was saying is that I think they included that title card because, as I remember, Daphne was having trouble sleeping and Frasier stayed up talking to her. Therefore, they were using the title to reference Seattle and their sleeplessness moreso than the storyline of Sleepless in Seattle.
frasier floyd

Postby Paraprax » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Paraprax

Return to Frasier Discussion