Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Niles & Daphne's half wedding

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Niles & Daphne's half wedding

Postby tgirl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:15 am

In the wedding Niles and Daphne fake for Gertrude Moon, Niles half-heartedly gets through the vows and Daphne begins to says her.........THEN something about what Daphne says bugs me.
Daphne: I can't stand here and rattle off a bunch of words that don't mean anything anymore.

OK I get that they have overdone their weddings and that this one is just to please Daphne's annoying horrid mother and that actions speak louder than words but why don't the vows mean anything anymore? They are their wedding vows and they should remain sacred throughout the entire marriage, not just for the wedding day.

I wonder if this really does bug anyone else? Also any suggestions for what Daphne should have said instead?
Last edited by tgirl on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlEsH Is BuRnINg NaNanAnANanA
tgirl

Re: Niles & Daphne's half wedding

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:32 am

Interesting take. That never even crossed my mind. I just take it that Daphne is frustrated and she just uttering the words not even thinking about what she's saying anymore.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby PistolPoet » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:45 am

My guess (and I hope I'm wrong) is that Daphne's line was simply a cue for Donny to jump in and make an ass of himself. If Daphne had said anything less dramatic, I don't think it would have seemed "natural" for Donny to launch into his rant.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby tgirl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:42 am

PistolPoet wrote:My guess (and I hope I'm wrong) is that Daphne's line was simply a cue for Donny to jump in and make an ass of himself. If Daphne had said anything less dramatic, I don't think it would have seemed "natural" for Donny to launch into his rant.

That is a good point.
I do think there would have been alternatives that could have been just as dramatic to cause the appropriate response from Donny such as 'I can't go through with this' etc. however I guess under the circumstances it is more likely she wouldn't have been thinking that clearly in the given situation.

I'm intrigued to know what people think about the decision to bring Donny back for the episode (The Ring Cycle). To be honest my personal opinion is that it was an unnecesary thing to do, I think when Daphne goes to the court in season 8 for closure the writers should have left it there, Apart from the laughs the scene got it was a bit pointless having him there. What are your opinions?
FlEsH Is BuRnINg NaNanAnANanA
tgirl

Postby Patrick » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:20 am

My opinion is that Daphne meant that the entire ceremony was meaningless. The wording may be a little off but it's supposed to be real people in real situations and to be honest we don't always say things in the clearest manner. I mean, sometimes in life, you say things one way and later wish that you had worded them a different way. It may not happen as often as on Frasier. I mean, look at how confusedly Frasier Phrases things sometimes just to create a comedic situation. For example when Roz has her baby and she falls asleep he asks the nurse out. She inquires about Roz and what's Frasier response to that? "Oh, no, forget about her, she's asleep." Making the nurse think that he's a cad instead of sensing what the nurse was worried about and saying something like "We're not together, I am just a friend who brought her to the hospital..." See what I mean? I always thought that Frasier's answer was bizarre and unnatural.
As for Donny, it's obvious to me that he's become obsessed with Daphne, in real life that kind of behavior is borderline insane and in the long run he could become dangerous and either Daphne or Niles for Daphne's sake would have to call the police and watch out for bizarre occurrences. I mean I understand that Donny's been hurt but there are limits to what grief allows a sane person to do and in my opinion Donny's gone beyond those limits. For one thing he should never have accepted Daphne's polite invitation to the wedding ceremony that was only meant to reciprocate to his. That's just not normal. Of course this is just light comedy and nothing like that can ever happen so we're left with only the comical effect of Donny's insane behavior. Remember that mister chump episode? In real life, that kind of thing is borderline psychotic already and quite chilling. Daphne may have triggered that but she's not responsible for Donny's mental instability.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:25 pm

I just refuse to accept anything that happened to Donny after he dropped the lawsuit. As tgirl said, there was no need to bring him back after that. Even in that episode, the scene in the restaurant was unnecessary. They should have left him with a shred of dignity. It has always seemed to me that they only brought him back in The Ring Cycle for a cheap laugh, and I feel sorry for him, he was a decent character and he deserved a better end.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Return to Frasier Discussion