Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Another one of'em quibbles...

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Another one of'em quibbles...

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 pm

In "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz" Roz says that "Freddy is half Jewish" but that's not true, so long as his mother is Jewish Freddy is completly Jewish as well regardless of the faith of his Father. If only his Father was Jewish, he wouldn't be Jewish at all and would have to be converted to become one. That's kinda strange though since back in the biblical days when they would massacre a city of "miscreants" they would take the virgin women and use them as spouses, talk about sling wedding though (they didn't have shotguns back then) ...
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Re: Another one of'em quibbles...

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Though Freddy celebrates holidays of both faiths.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 pm

I dont see any issue with Lilith's wording here. The strict technicalities of any religion compared to the view taken by people who 'kind of' follow some of the traditions are two different things. She's right about Freddy being half-Jewish if they believe him to be that way when Frasier's not Jewish.

If there's one thing i'd expect US tv shows to get pretty much nailed down, it's anything to do with the Jewish faith. :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:05 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I dont see any issue with Roz's wording here. The strict technicalities of any religion compared to the view taken by people who 'kind of' follow some of the traditions are two different things. She's right about Freddy being half-Jewish if they believe him to be that way when Frasier's not Jewish.

If there's one thing i'd expect US tv shows to get pretty much nailed down, it's anything to do with the Jewish faith. :D

Fixed the for you MC (it was Roz who said the half Jewish thing)

:lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:37 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I dont see any issue with Roz's wording here. The strict technicalities of any religion compared to the view taken by people who 'kind of' follow some of the traditions are two different things. She's right about Freddy being half-Jewish if they believe him to be that way when Frasier's not Jewish.

Fixed the for you MC (it was Roz who said the half Jewish thing)

:lol:

Good spot. Don't know why i put Lilith's name there. What an idiot :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:11 am

Moon-Crane wrote:...If there's one thing i'd expect US tv shows to get pretty much nailed down, it's anything to do with the Jewish faith. :D

For all we know Lilith herself could be "half-Jewish" (given how the Jewish faith works) in wich case Freddy would be "One-quarter-Jewish" or "one-eighth-Jewish". There's no such thing as being half-Jewish, you're either completely Jewish or not at all. It's not a genetic thing, you can't determine if someone is Jewish by DNA analysis. You're definitely wrong about that and so is ROZ.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Eddie2012 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:01 am

While you're right in saying that Freddie is 100% Jewish in the strict sense of the religion, I think Frasier simply takes a more 'worldly" approach (like describing someone as half Spanish and half English, even though their passports state an English citizenship only perhaps?). It seems to be a popular approach, I remember Ross in Friends also saying his son is half Jewish.
Eddie2012

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:22 am

Patrick wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:...If there's one thing i'd expect US tv shows to get pretty much nailed down, it's anything to do with the Jewish faith. :D

For all we know Lilith herself could be "half-Jewish" (given how the Jewish faith works) in wich case Freddy would be "One-quarter-Jewish" or "one-eighth-Jewish". There's no such thing as being half-Jewish, you're either completely Jewish or not at all. It's not a genetic thing, you can't determine if someone is Jewish by DNA analysis. You're definitely wrong about that and so is ROZ.

What a crock. Random google search and clicks here and here. Up yours, Schwarzkopf.

No matter what they might want you to think, it's irrelevant what some Rabbi tells you. Different jewish communities can't even agree anyway - and who cares. If a person wants to follow the Jewish faith then they get to decide that they're Jewish, not anyone else.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Patrick wrote:

What a crock. Random google search and clicks here and here. Up yours, Schwarzkopf.

No matter what they might want you to think, it's irrelevant what some Rabbi tells you. Different jewish communities can't even agree anyway - and who cares. If a person wants to follow the Jewish faith then they get to decide that they're Jewish, not anyone else.

So the Jews are not to decide who's a Jew and who's not? I suppose neither the Christians nor the Muslims do know who belongs to their congregations (or whatever they call them) . And to extend that admirable logic of yours, neither the French nor the American governments are to decide who's a citizen of their respective countries and who's not. I mean, if in your heart of hearts you know that you are an American who cares if the government says otherwise or everyone else for that matter. You are a self proclaimed and self acclaimed American and that's all that counts. What a wonderful world you live in!
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:21 pm

So the Jews are not to decide who's a Jew and who's not? I suppose neither the Christians nor the Muslims do know who belongs to their congregations (or whatever they call them) . And to extend that admirable logic of yours, neither the French nor the American governments are to decide who's a citizen of their respective countries and who's not. What a wonderful world you live in!

Seriously, we're really going to have to go through this, are we? Other people decide what you are, do they? Did you even look at the second link i posted from the Jezebel site from someone who specifically calls herself half-jewish? She's wrong about herself, is she? As long as you know best for her and put her right - i'm sure she'll be thrilled.

Anyway, Roz can still call Freddy half-Jewish and it's not incorrect from her point of view. there's nothing you can say, insults and all, that will change my mind. ;)

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:07 pm

:twisted: Oy vey (facepalm smilie lol)

The program doesn't have to be 100% accurate, because real life people are not 100% correct about everything.

I, for one, would have been very surprised if Roz knew the Jewish faith well enough to say to Frasier "Oh, that's right, Freddy is Jewish because if Lilith is Jewish, if you had of been the Jewish one Freddy would be a gentile".

Having Roz say that Freddy is half Jewish was a good (IMHO) way of informing the new/more casual viewer that Frasier's ex wife is Jewish, and that Frasier himself is not.

It doesn't matter that Roz was wrong about Freddy's true religion (for lack of a better word).
I got on very well with the story at the time, and have done very well with it ever since.
Knowing (since reading this thread) that Freddy is considered Jewish because of his mothers religion, whereas his father's Jewish herritage would not make Freddy Jewish, interesting as it is, doesn't greaten or lessen my enjoyment of the episode.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
So the Jews are not to decide who's a Jew and who's not? I suppose neither the Christians nor the Muslims do know who belongs to their congregations (or whatever they call them) . And to extend that admirable logic of yours, neither the French nor the American governments are to decide who's a citizen of their respective countries and who's not. What a wonderful world you live in!

Seriously, we're really going to have to go through this, are we? Other people decide what you are, do they? Did you even look at the second link i posted from the Jezebel site from someone who specifically calls herself half-jewish? She's wrong about herself, is she? As long as you know best for her and put her right - i'm sure she'll be thrilled.

Anyway, Roz can still call Freddy half-Jewish and it's not incorrect from her point of view. there's nothing you can say, insults and all, that will change my mind. ;)

So now you're accusing me of insulting you, when you are the one who used foul language... and that means that to boot you are insulting my intelligence...

Do you also kick people in the shin and then accuse them of hurting your foot?

In the adult world, people don't get to decide what they are by mere self proclamation. A child can say that he's an astronaut and believe it's true, but you are not a child are you?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Oy vey (facepalm smilie lol)

The program doesn't have to be 100% accurate, because real life people are not 100% correct about everything.

I, for one, would have been very surprised if Roz knew the Jewish faith well enough to say to Frasier "Oh, that's right, Freddy is Jewish because if Lilith is Jewish, if you had of been the Jewish one Freddy would be a gentile".

Having Roz say that Freddy is half Jewish was a good (IMHO) way of informing the new/more casual viewer that Frasier's ex wife is Jewish, and that Frasier himself is not.

It doesn't matter that Roz was wrong about Freddy's true religion (for lack of a better word).
I got on very well with the story at the time, and have done very well with it ever since.
Knowing (since reading this thread) that Freddy is considered Jewish because of his mothers religion, whereas his father's Jewish herritage would not make Freddy Jewish, interesting as it is, doesn't greaten or lessen my enjoyment of the episode.

Nothing I said has to do with my enjoyment or lack of such of this episode. It's only about the truthfulness of one remark, nothing more, nothing less.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Eddie2012 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 am

If people call themselves half Jewish, I understand it in a way that they want to acknowledge the fact that one of their parents (either one) is of Jewish faith and the other is not. I don’t see the problem.
And if a Jewish mother calls her child half Jewish, because the father is Catholic, I would feel uncomfortable quoting Jewish laws and telling her she's wrong. I appreciate a little modernisation of ancient religious structures :) .
Eddie2012

Return to Frasier Discussion