Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Who's singing?

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Who's singing?

Postby Patrick » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 am

Who's singing "vissi D'arte" on "First date" ep. 5-20? We know it's neither Renata Tebaldi nor Joan Sutherland but I can't find the name of the singer on the Internet. Only clue is that she's not as famous as those two but that's pretty meager to go on.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Re: Who's singing?

Postby Frasiertime » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 am

One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Frasiertime wrote:http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_opera_song_was_playing_during_the_final_scene_of_First_Date_episode_twenty_in_season_five_of_Frasier#

I see, thank you. Still, Mirella Freni is extremely famous (her rendition of Mimi from La Boheme is legendary) , so Daphne's remark doesn't make much sense.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frasiertime » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Good point and since Daphne said "you don't live with your brother for 5 yrs. without learning a thing or two about opera divas", I guess it was really Frasier's opinion :) :)

A little trivia....In Fortysomething, Niles said vissi d'arte was the aria he would choose as one of the 3 things he could take with him on a desert island. Daphne really got it right with her choice of music for the evening :) :)
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Frasiertime wrote:Good point and since Daphne said "you don't live with your brother for 5 yrs. without learning a thing or two about opera divas", I guess it was really Frasier's opinion :) :)

A little trivia....In Fortysomething, Niles said vissi d'arte was the aria he would choose as one of the 3 things he could take with him on a desert island. Daphne really got it right with her choice of music for the evening :) :)

And yet at the same time she can't play the piano, after NINE YEARS of lessons. Usually people who can't play an instrument are tone death, if not death or hard of hearing. So that's a little inconsistent to me, but I am afraid, I am just quibbling over minutia here. :D
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Not true. I have a very good ear and I can't play piano for shit. I took lessons for a while but it just frustrated me so much I quit. It's because I cannot make my hands do two different things at the same time. I can play the saxamaphone though.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:48 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Not true. I have a very good ear and I can't play piano for shit. I took lessons for a while but it just frustrated me so much I quit. It's because I cannot make my hands do two different things at the same time. I can play the saxamaphone though.

You mean "saxophone", don't you?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Not true. I have a very good ear and I can't play piano for shit. I took lessons for a while but it just frustrated me so much I quit. It's because I cannot make my hands do two different things at the same time. I can play the saxamaphone though.

There's a difference between "a while" and NINE YEARS! And note that Daphne was still willing to learn, so she obviously wasn't frustrated enough. No, to me it just looks like she's tone deaf and therefore can't correct herself when she hits the wrong key. When I play the piano I don't have to look at my hands to know when I made a mistake, a person who's tone deaf does and can hit the wrong key many times without even noticing it. It's hard to make any progress under these conditions. Same thing about the color blind, they can't choose their own clothes without looking like circus clowns.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Patrick wrote:

I always say saxamaphone. (it's a Simpsons thing) It's like "macamadamia" nuts. (which are in truth, macadamia nuts)
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Patrick wrote:

There's a difference between "a while" and NINE YEARS! And note that Daphne was still willing to learn, so she obviously wasn't frustrated enough. No, to me it just looks like she's tone deaf and therefore can't correct herself when she hits the wrong key. When I play the piano I don't have to look at my hands to know when I made a mistake, a person who's tone deaf does and can hit the wrong key many times without even noticing it. It's hard to make any progress under these conditions. Same thing about the color blind, they can't choose their own clothes without looking like circus clowns.

I still disagree. Just because she can't play piano does not mean she is tone deaf. A lot of people who aren't coordinated enough to play an instrument aren't tone deaf. And Daphne knew when she hit a wrong note. She stopped every time she hit the wrong note and started over.

I can't play very many sports well but it doesn't mean I don't understand them! It's the same thing as far as I'm concerned. Being unable to play an instrument does not mean one cannot understand music.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I always say saxamaphone. (it's a Simpsons thing) It's like "macamadamia" nuts. (which are in truth, macadamia nuts)

You know the saxamaphone, Patrick. It's a sophistimacated doowhackey. Not to mixed up with what banjoologists or tromboners play.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 pm

:lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I still disagree. Just because she can't play piano does not mean she is tone deaf. A lot of people who aren't coordinated enough to play an instrument aren't tone deaf. And Daphne knew when she hit a wrong note. She stopped every time she hit the wrong note and started over.

I can't play very many sports well but it doesn't mean I don't understand them! It's the same thing as far as I'm concerned. Being unable to play an instrument does not mean one cannot understand music.

Yes, i never really got the impression that Daphne was meant to be tone deaf as she knew immediately that she was making a mistake when trying to follow her exercises. As mentioned, tone deaf people often don't realise they are just that (hence the early comedy installments of the worldwide X-Factor auditions). Daphne simply appeared to be uncoordinated. I have friends who can hold a decent singing note yet can't play a musical instrument for toffee.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:32 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote::lol:

I have a feeling The Simpsons might get lost in translation with stuff like that. I've seen clips of French dub episodes but i've no idea how things like the saxamaphone translate :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote::lol:

I have a feeling The Simpsons might get lost in translation with stuff like that. I've seen clips of French dub episodes but i've no idea how things like the saxamaphone translate :D

I wouldn't know, I don't watch French dubbed series or films or anything for that matter. I don't need to. Of course, up until now I thought I wouldn't need to make that very noticeable fact so painfully obvious either, but life is full of surprises, not all of them good.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:42 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Sounds like fun.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:14 am

Patrick wrote:I wouldn't know, I don't watch French dubbed series or films or anything for that matter. I don't need to. Of course, up until now I thought I wouldn't need to make that very noticeable fact so painfully obvious either, but life is full of surprises, not all of them good.

Some things about you are painfully obvious, however. Such is life.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Patrick wrote:I wouldn't know, I don't watch French dubbed series or films or anything for that matter. I don't need to. Of course, up until now I thought I wouldn't need to make that very noticeable fact so painfully obvious either, but life is full of surprises, not all of them good.

Some things about you are painfully obvious, however. Such is life.

Casting a wide net are we? People on a fishing expedition usually are.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:28 pm

:scratch:

Not fishing at all. Simply calling you out on being an obnoxious idiot without placing the thread in jeopardy of having to being locked by Stu. I thought your snarky retort summed up the personality i've witnessed in posts towards a few others around the board. Keep it up for all i care as i know to ignore you forthwith.

If you think your post:

isn't obnoxious then you're also ignorant to boot. There was no personal attack on you so i don't get the condescending tone. Costs nothing to be civil. The board's supposed to be fun.

Anyweay, let the thread get back on topic and save Stu some work.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:29 pm

:twisted: I'm sure that MC was not trying to infere that you need to watch dubbed shows (your English is a hell of a lot better than my French, but for that matter, Scoobie's French is probably better than my French :oops: ) but I assume (as I imagine most would) that dubbed episodes on TV are the most accessable to you.

I don't know if the French have a different word for Saxaphone (i'll consult with Scoobie later lol), but if they do then a joke like Sax-a-maphone possibly wouldn't travel very well.

Besides, I don't know why anyone would need a dubbed episode. As I recently pointed out, we took most of your language, cleaned it up, turned it into real words, put it in some sort of cohesive order, and now even a child could follow it :D :P :lol:

BTW, how accurate do you find the French used on the show?
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Forever Jung wrote:

:twisted: I'm sure that MC was not trying to infere that you need to watch dubbed shows (your English is a hell of a lot better than my French, but for that matter, Scoobie's French is probably better than my French :oops: ) but I assume (as I imagine most would) that dubbed episodes on TV are the most accessable to you.

I don't know if the French have a different word for Saxaphone (i'll consult with Scoobie later lol), but if they do then a joke like Sax-a-maphone possibly wouldn't travel very well.

Besides, I don't know why anyone would need a dubbed episode. As I recently pointed out, we took most of your language, cleaned it up, turned it into real words, put it in some sort of cohesive order, and now even a child could follow it :D :P :lol:

BTW, how accurate do you find the French used on the show?

Let me put it this way... I had an uncle who was born deaf and though he learned sign language very soon, he didn't start to get serious lessons of lip reading as well as vocal language until late in life (around twenty). He was brilliant though, probably a genius in his own right. You see with his huge handicap and general lack of knowledge about things we take for granted, he struck out on his own when he was around 18, in Paris, no less. He taught himself to be a very good tailor and made some money, by the time he was thirty he had a house in the Bois de Vincenne, a posh quarter of Paris, and started living with a guy. So that's how his parents, IE my grandparents learned that he was gay. :lol: I was a small child back then so I never thought much of it until I was old enough to meet imbeciles up to their gills in prejudices. Anyway, my uncle was always impeccably dressed and well groomed, he had a receding hair line and as Niles puts it a little bit of Frasier's (KG's) "fat face", and when Frasier speaks French, the resemblance between the two of them, my long dead uncle and him, is just UNCANNY!
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Return to Frasier Discussion