Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The worst out of character moment in the history of Frasier

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Re: The worst out of character moment in the history of Fras

Postby winomaster » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:41 am

[/quote] But I tell you what moment still gets me: in Party, Party In one scene Roz tries to prevent him from getting out of the door and he literally throws her against the powder room door. A strangely violent scene that makes me flinch every time.[/quote]

I remember that moment. We didn't see Roz hurt. We saw Frazier display paniced strength. Yes it was startleing. But that is what comedy is about, the unexpected moment. It was doubly startleing in that it was a woman. Had it be bulldog, you would have not flinched a bit. Now the obvious question here is this: Did that moment require any slight of hand? Was it Kelsey Grammar using only his own strength to move her?
winomaster

Postby frasier floyd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Ok, I remember Roz meeting someone outside Frasier's building but I thought that was the man with the caviar. I also never realized that Roger was only in one episode! It seems a shame that we see so many of Frasier's dates (must be a few dozen), yet we hardly see any of the other characters' dates. I know the show is about Frasier, but I think it's equally about his close loved ones, so giving them some more dimensionality wouldn't have hurt.
frasier floyd

Postby Patrick » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Roz being hooked on caviar seems a bit much to me. Most people don't even like it, the idea that someone could be addicted to caviar the same way one's addicted to heroin is simply unbelievable. I mean, in France we take extra precautions to protect pharmacies against robberies (because addicts will go to great lengths to sate their addiction) , I have yet to hear about similar procedures for luxurious grocery stores.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Patrick wrote:Roz being hooked on caviar seems a bit much to me. Most people don't even like it, the idea that someone could be addicted to caviar the same way one's addicted to heroin is simply unbelievable. I mean, in France we take extra precautions to protect pharmacies against robberies (because addicts will go to great lengths to sate their addiction) , I have yet to hear about similar procedures for luxurious grocery stores.

Oh, don't underestimate the power of good food... :P
Of course, Roz is overdoing it, but yeah, it's totally possible to crave certain food to the point of wanting to go out in the middle of the night to buy some. When I first came to Belgium, I discovered a few new things that I got really hooked on, like Galler chocolate (you may know it, I suppose they sell it in France, too); I had to have some in the flat at all times, until I finally decided I was being silly. Now I just take a deep sigh when I pass by it in the supermarket :).
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:26 pm

PistolPoet wrote:
Patrick wrote:Roz being hooked on caviar seems a bit much to me. Most people don't even like it, the idea that someone could be addicted to caviar the same way one's addicted to heroin is simply unbelievable. I mean, in France we take extra precautions to protect pharmacies against robberies (because addicts will go to great lengths to sate their addiction) , I have yet to hear about similar procedures for luxurious grocery stores.

Oh, don't underestimate the power of good food... :P
Of course, Roz is overdoing it, but yeah, it's totally possible to crave certain food to the point of wanting to go out in the middle of the night to buy some. When I first came to Belgium, I discovered a few new things that I got really hooked on, like Galler chocolate (you may know it, I suppose they sell it in France, too); I had to have some in the flat at all times, until I finally decided I was being silly. Now I just take a deep sigh when I pass by it in the supermarket :).

Whenever I think about eating chocolate I just need to remember what it does to my transit and it stops my "craving" right there. :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby frasier floyd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:17 pm

I didn't think Roz became hooked on the caviar like a drug... I think the caviar was just supposed to be so unusually delicious that they all went a bit silly over it. Speaking of chocolate though, some quality dark chocolate is the one food that I sometimes "need". :) Sorry to hear it ruins your transit, whatever that is!
frasier floyd

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:59 pm

frasier floyd wrote:I didn't think Roz became hooked on the caviar like a drug... I think the caviar was just supposed to be so unusually delicious that they all went a bit silly over it. Speaking of chocolate though, some quality dark chocolate is the one food that I sometimes "need". :) Sorry to hear it ruins your transit, whatever that is!

It was definitely written to make it seem like she was craving heroin! I always found it kind of funny.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby frasier floyd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:07 pm

No arguing here, I was just sharing my opinion. I don't think someone nursing an addiction is funny so that's just me. Besides, caviar? Gross.
frasier floyd

Postby PistolPoet » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:36 am

frasier floyd wrote:No arguing here, I was just sharing my opinion. I don't think someone nursing an addiction is funny so that's just me. Besides, caviar? Gross.

I'm a vegetarian, but I do miss meat sometimes, and I definitely do miss caviar :). Not that I've eaten it many times, mind you.
PistolPoet

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:53 am

Another strange 'out of character' moment was when Martin ditches his cane and runs over to Frasier and Lilith after learning she was remarrying someone else. As he ran, he pretended to support himself on the table and couch. It was so awkward and clumsy and highlighted his lack of a real injury. Martin could hardly have thought she'd be remarrying Frasier, so I don't see what the big excitement was about.
frasier floyd

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:40 am

frasier floyd wrote:No arguing here, I was just sharing my opinion. I don't think someone nursing an addiction is funny so that's just me. Besides, caviar? Gross.

On that part I agree. I can't get near the stuff without being grossed out. I don't care how expensive it is.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:50 am

Incidentally Pistol, when I was vegetarian and later vegan, I returned to a carnivorous diet both times by eating fish. I don't think I've actually ever eaten caviar though, but by the looks of it I've never had the desire to try it.
frasier floyd

Postby Frank B » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:57 am

frasier floyd wrote:I don't think I've actually ever eaten caviar though, but by the looks of it I've never had the desire to try it.

Have you ever swallowed water while swimming in the ocean? The taste is about the same. :-)
Frank B

Postby Roverman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:49 am

I have eaten caviar once, years ago our neighbours brought some to a buffet meal, absolutely hated it! For Roz to like it so much to the point of addiction makes me wonder if she has any taste buds!
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby ShangriLa » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Recently watched Morning Becomes Entertainment. Always found the sub-plot where Martin wears the women's glasses a bit out of character. The green glasses are so obviously feminine, it seems ridiculous that Martin could miss it.
"From now on I'll be Niles Crane... the Montana".
ShangriLa

Postby Eddie2012 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:05 pm

The operating word bein 'ridiculous' - for any gender :D
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:31 pm

ShangriLa wrote:Recently watched Morning Becomes Entertainment. Always found the sub-plot where Martin wears the women's glasses a bit out of character. The green glasses are so obviously feminine, it seems ridiculous that Martin could miss it.

What's ridiculous is Martin's short sightedness is convenient and unrealistic. He apparently goes to the women's room because he can't see the sign on the door (which is usually big enough that you have to be nearly blind to miss it) or he can't see the difference between a cream holder and a cup of coffee and yet he sees that Roz is wearing his glasses from a distance and that the woman at his table is wearing glasses similar to his own.

So, what kind of visual impairment is he suffering from then?
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby frasier floyd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 pm

In Author, Author, Frasier and Niles are writing a book and Martin tries to remember the name of a lake they once visited. He says, "Your mother would know, too bad she's dead". I can't imagine anyone who lost a loved one, especially a spouse, would ever say those last words. Was that supposed to be funny for his sons or for us?
frasier floyd

Postby PistolPoet » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm

frasier floyd wrote:In Author, Author, Frasier and Niles are writing a book and Martin tries to remember the name of a lake they once visited. He says, "Your mother would know, too bad she's dead". I can't imagine anyone who lost a loved one, especially a spouse, would ever say those last words. Was that supposed to be funny for his sons or for us?

I have to admit I laughed out loud when I first heard that, because it came out so unexpectedly. And I can't say I've lost many loved ones, so I can't be sure, but I think that, if you've made peace with someone's death, if enough time has passed and if you're sure that that person wouldn't be angry with you for saying something like that, it's not so bad. The way I see it, Martin didn't really pay attention to what he was saying; he was thinking about the name of the lake and just blurted it out, the way he'd say, "Too bad she's not here right now". I don't think he was being insensitive or disrespectful, but I agree that it was quite unexpected.
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:09 pm

PistolPoet wrote:
frasier floyd wrote:In Author, Author, Frasier and Niles are writing a book and Martin tries to remember the name of a lake they once visited. He says, "Your mother would know, too bad she's dead". I can't imagine anyone who lost a loved one, especially a spouse, would ever say those last words. Was that supposed to be funny for his sons or for us?

I have to admit I laughed out loud when I first heard that, because it came out so unexpectedly. And I can't say I've lost many loved ones, so I can't be sure, but I think that, if you've made peace with someone's death, if enough time has passed and if you're sure that that person wouldn't be angry with you for saying something like that, it's not so bad. The way I see it, Martin didn't really pay attention to what he was saying; he was thinking about the name of the lake and just blurted it out, the way he'd say, "Too bad she's not here right now". I don't think he was being insensitive or disrespectful, but I agree that it was quite unexpected.

I can't imagine anyone real behaving like that. It's not the only instance of it BTW, Niles also said of his mother that she "lucked out and died" once. That's even more shocking. My father died thirty eight years ago and I would be deeply offended if someone joked about his demise like that, all the more if it were one of my brothers who did so.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby PistolPoet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Patrick wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:

I can't imagine anyone real behaving like that. It's not the only instance of it BTW, Niles also said of his mother that she "lucked out and died" once. That's even more shocking. My father died thirty eight years ago and I would be deeply offended if someone joked about his demise like that, all the more if it were one of my brothers who did so.

I understand, of course, and people have different views on these things - it's, after all, quite a sensitive subject. My opinion is that I should treat the dead the same way as when they were alive. So, if I can joke with my grandma and say, "When you die, I'm stealing all your jewellery" and we have a good laugh about it, it doesn't mean I want her to die or that I disrespect her. And when she does die (years from now, I hope), if someone in my family says the same thing Martin did, I'll be fine with it, knowing that she'd be fine with it, too. Though I guess that your opinion on the subject must be influenced by the nature of your relationship with the deceased person, so it's highly individual.
PistolPoet

Postby Roverman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:19 pm

I agree with Pistol Poet. Its very likely that as a retired cop Martin probably has a 'gallows humour' about death et al, remember he met Hester at a suspicious death, its also likely that Frasier and Niles when going through med school developed a similar attitude.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Previous

Return to Frasier Discussion