Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier's (radio) ratings

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

Frasier's (radio) ratings

Postby KevinWI » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:50 am

One thing that's always bugged me about Frasier (and this is a very small nitpick on the whole) is the recurring mention of Frasier's bad radio ratings.

I work in radio and bad shows don't last long. One morning show lasted a whole 4 months before it was rearranged here. In my experience, the more niche AM talk stations may have more leeway (if you've been in last place in ratings forever, why not for a few months?) and KACL definitely seemed to be a sort of bizarre talk radio station on one of the far ends of the dial. I mean, a call-in psychiatry show, a fine dining review show, a gardening show, etc? KACL definitely wasn't a "mainstream" talk radio station.

Frasier's radio show just wouldn't be on the air for 11 years if it was poorly rated. Plus, later in the series, he is syndicated (to Spokane, etc.) and that wouldn't happen if he got bad ratings. Plus, Frasier seemed to be extremely well off and getting long-term contracts for a show that always seemed to be having "bad ratings crises" once a year.
KevinWI

Re: Frasier's (radio) ratings

Postby ShinChuck » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:24 pm

There's a few potential inconsistencies throughout the show off the top of my head. At one point, it's mentioned that Bulldog has far better ratings, but then shortly afterward (don't recall specifics, but I think it was even the same reason) Frasier makes a crack about how more people listen to his show than Bulldog's. Frasier's prime demograph changes at least a couple times as well, which isn't impossible but does seem a little unlikely to me to be that drastic over a relatively short period of time.

But I do agree with what you're saying! You'd know better than me of course working in radio and all, but even my layman's experience seems to indicate shows need to produce, and produce quickly, because it's a pretty cutthroat, fluid market. :shock: Just plot devices I guess! I try to think of the MST3K theme during these times. :lol:
ShinChuck

Postby Kittysafe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:15 am

Another major inconsistency with the show's writing, sorry to hijack your thread here...

When Frasier has a competition with a new host Doctor, forget his name, the one who cannot sing, completely tone deaf,
Frasier says he went to Harvard, and the other guy tops him by saying he went to Oxford, and Frasier says, "Even better!"

But we earlier found out that Frasier went to Harvard AND Oxford, but this seems to slip the writer's mind in this later episode.
Kittysafe

Postby KevinWI » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:18 am

Kittysafe wrote:Another major inconsistency with the show's writing, sorry to hijack your thread here...

When Frasier has a competition with a new host Doctor, forget his name, the one who cannot sing, completely tone deaf,
Frasier says he went to Harvard, and the other guy tops him by saying he went to Oxford, and Frasier says, "Even better!"

But we earlier found out that Frasier went to Harvard AND Oxford, but this seems to slip the writer's mind in this later episode.

Yeah, that's definitely an inconsistency.

Just like Frasier and Niles' ability to speak French changes throughout the series.
KevinWI

Postby Eddie2012 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:51 am

Or Frasiers German. Or brothers that didn't exist for years. You'd think they would have some kind of fact sheet for each character they'd give to a new writer, but apparently not...
Eddie2012

Postby KevinWI » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 am

Eddie2012 wrote:Or Frasiers German. Or brothers that didn't exist for years. You'd think they would have some kind of fact sheet for each character they'd give to a new writer, but apparently not...

Yeah, or Frasier's dad coming back from the dead when he moved to Seattle.

Well, at least they played that one off with a laugh when people from Cheers visited.
KevinWI

Return to Frasier Discussion