Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Real Frasier Crane Day

Discussion of all things 'Frasier' - the episodes, the actors and other 'Frasier'-related topics.

The Real Frasier Crane Day

Postby Frasier » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:39 pm

HELLO EVERYONE! :D

Can somebody explain abit about the REAL Frasier Crane day?

In the excellent episode (Some of it really filmed in seattle as opposed to LA!!) Frasier is celebrated by seattle...ONLY FOR HIM TO MISS IT AS A RESULT OF NILES Half-cap cappuccino spilt on his suede shoes because somebosy threw a fish at NILES!!

Anyway, at the end ,Kelsey sings with a scat group- with real jazz harmony ie. major 9th and 13th chords.

What happened at this day?

Thanks :D
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
User avatar
Frasier
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:10 pm
Location: London

Postby Nervosa » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:43 pm

I think it was just a Frasier themed bash in Seattle (or some other place...possibly LA). I doubt there actually is a 'Frasier Crane' day, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Btw, this thread technically belongs in the Frasier discussion forum.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
User avatar
Nervosa
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:33 am

Postby Frasier » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:58 pm

Nervosa wrote:I think it was just a Frasier themed bash in Seattle (or some other place...possibly LA). I doubt there actually is a 'Frasier Crane' day, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Btw, this thread technically belongs in the Frasier discussion forum.


Ah thanks - But what happened at that bash?

BTW, are you sure? what about .post about trivia
http://www.frasieronline.co.uk/forum/vi ... php?t=2696

In anycase, its become a technical question now- Are we allowed to post trivial things in the technical area?

Thanks :)
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
User avatar
Frasier
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:10 pm
Location: London

Postby Stu » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:59 am

Frasier wrote:
BTW, are you sure? what about .post about trivia
http://www.frasieronline.co.uk/forum/vi ... php?t=2696

In anycase, its become a technical question now- Are we allowed to post trivial things in the technical area?

Thanks :)


No you shouldn't post trivial things in the technical, and yes we should have said the same to the post you pointed out.

So I'm moving it to the Frasier Discussion forum.


Stu
----
Frasier Online Webmaster

Frasier: I suppose the situation you're in is that you'd like to stay with Maris but you'd like an affair with Daphne
Niles: Yes. Can I do that?
Frasier: No, you can't!
User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 1:00 am
Location: London

Postby mickeba » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:20 pm

Mickeba can clear this one up, because Mickeba lived in Seattle at the beginning of the Frasier series. The show was very popular in Seattle, and KING 5, the local NBC affiliate put together a weeklong event to promote the show and welcome it to Seattle. The officials on stage with Roz are real Seattle area officials. Mayor (at that time) Norm Rice is one of them. I do remember this event very vaguely, as I did not watch the show. My wife and I were really unhappy living in Seattle, all the rain did no help to her rheumatoid arthritis, and we were in the process of finding a new place to live. Frasier was insanely hyped in Seattle, and I grew quite tired of the hype, so many of the details of this event escape me, but I do remember it was real, and was a big deal for about a week.

mickeba
"It's always darkest, just before it goes totally black!"
mickeba
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Southern California

Postby Frasier » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:50 pm

mickeba wrote:Mickeba can clear this one up, because Mickeba lived in Seattle at the beginning of the Frasier series. The show was very popular in Seattle, and KING 5, the local NBC affiliate put together a weeklong event to promote the show and welcome it to Seattle. The officials on stage with Roz are real Seattle area officials. Mayor (at that time) Norm Rice is one of them. I do remember this event very vaguely, as I did not watch the show. My wife and I were really unhappy living in Seattle, all the rain did no help to her rheumatoid arthritis, and we were in the process of finding a new place to live. Frasier was insanely hyped in Seattle, and I grew quite tired of the hype, so many of the details of this event escape me, but I do remember it was real, and was a big deal for about a week.
mickeba


Thanks for that increadibly insightful information :D

I'm thinking of visiting seattle some day. Is it as nice as it is portrayed on the show?(not weather wise! But with restaurants and beauty etc) Would you recommend it?

Im sorry to hear about your wife's condition. How are you both coping with that if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the info

frasier :D
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
User avatar
Frasier
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:10 pm
Location: London

Postby mickeba » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:10 pm

my wifes doing fine. She had surgery earlier in the year, and we've had a tough year, but the last couple of months have been pretty good. Thanks for asking.

as for Seattle, it's always been funny to me that Seattle, Frasier's Seattle, is portrayed as such a high society place. True there are museums and fine dining and all, but sometimes Niles will refer to the "society pages" of the paper, and some of the other dialogue portrays Seattle as a bastion of culture, practically New York, certainly Frasier's Seattle comes off as a city larger than it really is. That's how I take it at least. There are no "society pages". Once Niles referred to the "paper district", which I laughed at, because outside of the University (of Washington) district, which is virtually it's own city, there are no "districts" so to speak. No jewelry district, or fashion district. There are many good restaurants and a great symphony, but Seattles dining scene is no better than most cities. Las Vegas actually has a much better restaurant scene. There are 3 very good museums in Seattle, which is odd for a city of its size. One thing about Frasier, the view from his apartment is incorrect. The buildings you see are actual Seattle buildings, but the placement is incorrect. You could not see them all from one location, but of course they have taken a lot of time to recreate the Seattle atmosphere, so it's understandable. And, whenever you see someone looking at at local newspaper, it is an actual Seattle Times they're looking at. On the downside, Seattle weather is horrendous, which is primarily why I would not recommend it as a place to live. In fact the weather was one of the main reasons we left. Just too tough on Rheumatoid Arthritis. We got flooded out our next to last winter in town! Not fun! Seattle is great for a visit however, in May, June or July. It's not extraordinarily hot, and the rain is not as evident either.

mickeba
"It's always darkest, just before it goes totally black!"
mickeba
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Southern California

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:25 am

mickeba wrote:Mickeba can clear this one up, because Mickeba lived in Seattle at the beginning of the Frasier series. The show was very popular in Seattle, and KING 5, the local NBC affiliate put together a weeklong event to promote the show and welcome it to Seattle. The officials on stage with Roz are real Seattle area officials. Mayor (at that time) Norm Rice is one of them. I do remember this event very vaguely, as I did not watch the show. My wife and I were really unhappy living in Seattle, all the rain did no help to her rheumatoid arthritis, and we were in the process of finding a new place to live. Frasier was insanely hyped in Seattle, and I grew quite tired of the hype, so many of the details of this event escape me, but I do remember it was real, and was a big deal for about a week.

mickeba


It seems bizarre that you disliked Frasier whilst living in Seattle, Mickeba! Especially as now you live in SoCal you're one of the top posters on a Frasier discussion forum! :lol:

Another significance of Frasier Crane Day of course is the date - 11th September 1997. What a bitter irony that the show's co-creator would die (like so many others) on the same day 4 years later.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby mickeba » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:35 am

there was just so much hype surrounding Frasier in Seattle, and in retrospect, it was really that I disliked Seattle, as opposed to disliking Frasier. However, all has been made right.

mickeba
"It's always darkest, just before it goes totally black!"
mickeba
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Southern California

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:46 am

mickeba wrote:there was just so much hype surrounding Frasier in Seattle, and in retrospect, it was really that I disliked Seattle, as opposed to disliking Frasier. However, all has been made right.

mickeba


Glad to hear it, and that your missus is on the mend too. All's good in Mickeba-world! :D
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Frasier » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:36 pm

mickeba wrote:my wifes doing fine. She had surgery earlier in the year, and we've had a tough year, but the last couple of months have been pretty good. Thanks for asking.

as for Seattle, it's always been funny to me that Seattle, Frasier's Seattle, is portrayed as such a high society place. True there are museums and fine dining and all, but sometimes Niles will refer to the "society pages" of the paper, and some of the other dialogue portrays Seattle as a bastion of culture, practically New York, certainly Frasier's Seattle comes off as a city larger than it really is. That's how I take it at least. There are no "society pages". Once Niles referred to the "paper district", which I laughed at, because outside of the University (of Washington) district, which is virtually it's own city, there are no "districts" so to speak. No jewelry district, or fashion district. There are many good restaurants and a great symphony, but Seattles dining scene is no better than most cities. Las Vegas actually has a much better restaurant scene. There are 3 very good museums in Seattle, which is odd for a city of its size. One thing about Frasier, the view from his apartment is incorrect. The buildings you see are actual Seattle buildings, but the placement is incorrect. You could not see them all from one location, but of course they have taken a lot of time to recreate the Seattle atmosphere, so it's understandable. And, whenever you see someone looking at at local newspaper, it is an actual Seattle Times they're looking at. On the downside, Seattle weather is horrendous, which is primarily why I would not recommend it as a place to live. In fact the weather was one of the main reasons we left. Just too tough on Rheumatoid Arthritis. We got flooded out our next to last winter in town! Not fun! Seattle is great for a visit however, in May, June or July. It's not extraordinarily hot, and the rain is not as evident either.

mickeba



Thanks for your informative answer. I guess they would make Seattle more glamourous than it is. EG: When they made Notting Hill(Richard Curtis), it is so unlike the real thing!

Do the restuarants like Le Cigare Volune exist though?- Or have any memorials(as such) been made for Frasier. I know there is a Cheers bar in Boston. Is there such a thing for Frasier?


I wish you and your wife the best.
:D
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
User avatar
Frasier
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:10 pm
Location: London

Postby mickeba » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:56 pm

Thanks for the kind words Frasier. You know, oddly enough, there isn't anything in Seattle to really celebrate Frasier! As for Cigar Velone, there's no place like that but, there are a lot of non-Starbucks coffee houses that are like Cafe Nervosa. They are mostly in the suburban towns like Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond. In fact, Nervosa is portrayed in the show in exactly a Pacific Northwest decorative style. It's looks very much a Seattle locale.

mickeba
"It's always darkest, just before it goes totally black!"
mickeba
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Southern California

Postby Frasier » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:21 pm

mickeba wrote:Thanks for the kind words Frasier. You know, oddly enough, there isn't anything in Seattle to really celebrate Frasier! As for Cigar Velone, there's no place like that but, there are a lot of non-Starbucks coffee houses that are like Cafe Nervosa. They are mostly in the suburban towns like Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond. In fact, Nervosa is portrayed in the show in exactly a Pacific Northwest decorative style. It's looks very much a Seattle locale.

mickeba


Mon Plaisir

Thats really nice - the fact that there are places like nervosa there.
Here in London, I make frequent visits to cafes like Starbucks, Costa, Cafe Nero, Coffee Republic. However, none of them have the same layout for one. And 2, you can't sit down and expect the staff to get you your drinks. - One can't just waltz into their regular starbucks, sit down and say "my usual please". I suppose, Seattle is warmer that way, there is more a locale and homely feel. Though, I haven't fully explored the non-mutli-national-corporational coffee houses in London.

It's a shame though, that Seattle hasn't commemorated Frasier as such.

Are there "fancy cheese shops" and other sort of delicatessens in Seattle?
I always noticed Frasier talking about imported wine or fois gras, etc.

Thank you, Mickeba, for being so invaluably informative
:D
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
User avatar
Frasier
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:10 pm
Location: London


Return to Frasier Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

cron

© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2014. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.